Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

age and LAF

Posted by Dennis 
Dennis
age and LAF
December 15, 2003 09:40AM
First of all, I am relatively new to this site but I must say that I appreciate and am impressed with the knowledge and caring of the people who post messages and responses here.
I had my first bout of afib on the eve of my 64th birthday. I underwent all the tests you can imagine and was diagnosed with LAF. I continue to exercise, take cardiotonic supplements (hawthorn, carnitine, taurine, magnesium, omega 3 fish oil, CoQ 10, etc.), and generally feel OK. I have many bouts of afib; most are not very dramatic; and I continue to function through them with no ill effects. The Drs. ( I go to a group of cardiologists so I don't always see the same doctor) put me on Cartia XT ( I went off for a variety of reasons); fleicanide (I went off that with the Drs'. blessing) and coumadin (of which I have to take horse doses to get a reading in the 2-3 range--even then I don't always make it). I am going on too long here. At any rate, at my last physical (last week), I saw the cardiologist (who saw me the time before). I showed him the studies about LAF and taking aspirin if you haven't had a stroke, heart attack, diabetes, etc. He said since I am 67 I no longer have LAF--at that age you cannot be given that diagnosis; so he said let's say you have sick sinus syndrome. This sounds nuts to me. My heart is the same, symptoms the same--but is he right? I can't believe it would be the case. But...
Cathy
Re: age and LAF
December 15, 2003 10:09AM
The EP I saw at Hopkins last week said once I reach 65 I will definitely need Coumadin. He says things change after 65. Bummer, isn't it??? Well the newly prescribed combo of Toprol and Flecainide isn't working for me either, and I'm 48. Best of luck to you.

Cathysmiling smiley
LarryG
December 15, 2003 11:20AM
Hi, Cathy -- Does your EP have you on aspirin? If so, how much?

Thanks.

LarryG
v / 55
Fran
December 16, 2003 08:48AM
Dennis

That doesn't sound right to me. However I am not a Dr. What I would do if I were you is to ask where in your records it shows you have SSS. If it doesn't ask for tests to prove it. If you were initially diagnosed with LAF I can't see how they can change the diagnosis just because you aged a couple fo years. It sounds to me like your cardio was fobbing you off so he didn't have to go into details and easy to stick with hospital protocol.

Get a second opinion if you can.

Fran
Pam
December 16, 2003 09:28AM
Dennis:
Here is a link to the SPAF III study which calls anyone with other risk factors NOT LAF. One of them is over the age of 60 or 65 (I forget). Others are hypertensio and thyroid dysfunction as well as other heart disease. It claims increased stroke risk with Paroxysmal afib at a certain percent for over 65 and a higher percent if over 80. Perhaps thats why he is no longer calling your condition LAF. Here is that site:\

[www.journalclub.org]

The other suggestion that you have SSS, is possible. Many of us have SSS and afib. I have a relative SSS and had at one time a pacemaker for about 3 1/2 years. It was implanted wrong and always gave me problems and was surgically removed in 2002. I have opted for the present time not to have it replaced. I am just trying to make sense of your doctors evaluations and suggestions. Perhaps you should ask him by what criteria he is now diagnosing SSS (specifically). If I were you, I would feel safer remaining on Coumadin. I also have to take a large dose. I take 10mg. on 3 days/week and 7.5mg. the other 4 days. My target INR is 2.5 to 3.5, because I have a prosthetic mitral valve.

Hope your having a good day and NSR,
Pam
Pam
December 16, 2003 09:32AM
Dennis:

The other thing you might want to do is to do a google search for LAF or rather spell out Lond Atrial Fibrillation and you will get lots of sites. I think your doctor is defining it by the SPAF studies.

Pam
December 16, 2003 10:46AM
Dennis - If you haven't already done so, please order Hans' book if you can. There is more knowledge packed into that book that you will ever hear from your MD about the symptoms and conditions and treatment of afib. From that knowledge, you will be able to make some decisions on your own about how your heart is responding to the various drugs and if you have developed SSS.....which I doubt .....(but I'm not a doctor.)

I like the list of supplements you are already consuming, and I wonder just how much magnesium you are getting. If you care to investigate the use of increased magnesium doses, just do a topic search on this site....there is alot written and I've posted quite a bit - along with Carol - on how increased doses of magnesium glycinate have either eliminated afib events or stretched them out between episodes....it's worth investigating since 80% of the population is magnesium deficient and studies show afibbers are found to be deficient.

Feel free to email me privately if you like... I can steer you to some studies and references.

Knowledge is power. Don't delay in stoking up on knowledge.

Good luck. Jackie
Dennis
December 17, 2003 07:37AM
Thanks for the infor Cathy.
Dennis
December 17, 2003 07:38AM
No, there were no tests; it came right out of his mouth unbidden by other info. I am getting a second opinion. Thanks.
Dennis
December 17, 2003 07:41AM
I keep reading that age is a variable to contend with. My only concern is that everyone who is 67 (or 34 or...) isn't the same--physiologically, culturally, genetically, etc. But I am willing to accept the idea with more info. Thanks.
Dennis
December 17, 2003 07:43AM
Thanks Jackie for your informative message. I am taking between 1500 and 2000 magnesium. I just started a week or so ago with glycinate and so far haven't noticed any changes. I'll keep studying and talking with others.
Phil
December 17, 2003 03:05PM
As for age being a factor I will be 84 yrs. old in Jan. and I still take 81.Mgs of aspirin, not coumadin. I have been on amodarone. sotalol and atenolol. At present all I take is 12.5mgs of atenolol. Take an extra atenolol at the onset of a spell. Trying rate control as opposed to rhythm control.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login