Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coconut Oil - Helps thyroid/anti-fungal, bacterial

Posted by Richard 
Richard
Coconut Oil - Helps thyroid/anti-fungal, bacterial
December 14, 2003 06:07AM
You all might find it of interest to read about the benefits of coconut oil, esp. as it pertains to boosting thyroid functions. It contains lauric acid, which has anti-fungal and bacterial properties, as well. Lauric acid is produced in mother's milk to protect the baby from foreign invaders and is used in hospital formulas for parenteral feeding. Here's one site to get you started, if interested, but if you want to read more, just put Coconut Oil in your search engine. I purchased some today from, I think it was "www.naturaltraditions.com", recommended by Dr. Mercola. That website may not be right, but you'll find it if you do a search.

[thyroid.about.com]

At the site I purchased my oils from, they also had a coconut grater for ease of grating fresh coconut meat, as well as lotions, creams, soaps and deodorants. My wife loves coconut soap, but we haven't tried the soap we just ordered, so I'll let you know.

Richard
I often use coconut oil soap. They also put in grated coconut as a scrub. They also do a shampoo bar - meant for curly frizzy hair - but me and my daughter think it is great on our fine straight hair. It leaves the skin and hair really soft and fresh. I have also noted when baking with coconut oil (I use it for my arrow root crackers) that it is great for the skin on the hands.

I often rub it on my elbows which can get quite dry and rough. So from my point of view coconut oil is a great all rounder and a great antioxidant.

Fran
Richard,
I thought that there was something about coconut oil that was definitely not good for us...hm-m-m, where did I read that?

Carol
Let's hear it for coconut all around! We use coconut oil in cooking. I also use coconut lotion (brand name Skin Trip). It's not greasy and smells really nice.

I also use coconut milk in place of dairy (sold by Thai Kitchen). Yum! It's just like thick cream and tastes wonderful on grapes and bananas for breakfast. You can also add Chinese five-spice and a dab of honey to make a little dessert dish. I eat a LOT of coconut milk and haven't gained any weight from it. Still trying to figure out how to make ice cream out of it!

k
Carol

Its probably because it is saturated fat. However, saturated fat is not quite the devil it has been made out to be. Infact it has many benefits and many people are becoming deficient in the nutrients it contains. Even though the body makes saturated fat from carbs and sugar - they do not contain the EFA's present in saturated fat.

Heres a great site about fats.

[www.westonaprice.org]

Fran
Re: Coconut Oil - Helps thyroid/anti-fungal, bacterial
December 15, 2003 10:14AM
Richard - Good idea to post this. I have been using coconut oil for quite some time. Really like it. Be sure to use the unrefined and hopefully organic.

The thyroid benefit is very interesting and one of the main reasons I began using it since Dr. Mercola and Dr. Mary Enig endorse it - and have for years now.

I agree that it is great for the skin. And sorta fun to use - goes on in a lump and melts at 76 degrees so it is a nice smooth liquid almost immediately.

Kestra - nice thought about the coconut milk and grapes. Thanks.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login