Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jackie and all - Vit. B12 deficiency

Posted by Richard 
Richard
Jackie and all - Vit. B12 deficiency
December 13, 2003 04:46PM
In doing a search on methylmalonic acid, (I'm borderline high from test results), it states that when one is high in this, and/or homocysteine, this is an indicator of Vit B12 dificiency. B12 requires stomach acid in order for it to be absorbed, as well, so if anyone here is on stomach acid reducers, then you should be supplementing. I do believe my problems with arrhythmia came about from taking Prevacid.

Jackie, you may find this study of interest, in that oral supplementation works better than injection, where I thought it was the other way around. I have started supplementing with 2000mcg or 2mg of methylcobalamin for approx. 1-2 mths.

[www.aafp.org]

Richard
Richard
Re: Jackie and all - Vit. B12 deficiency
December 13, 2003 05:33PM
In searching further, I finally found the answer I was looking for. I was low in B12 and supposedly folate, but my homocysteine levels were low, with methylmalonate being high.

Methylmalonate

This compound is converted into succinic acid using a vitamin B12-dependent enzyme, methylmalonyl CoA mutase (Fig 1). The lack of vitamin B12 impairs this conversion as well as the one in which methionine is recovered from homocysteine, leading to accumulation of methylmalonate. As discussed above, high levels indicate a functional deficiency of vitamin B12. A differential diagnosis can be made when considering both methylmalonate and the amino acid, homocysteine. If homocysteine is also elevated, both B12 and folate functional deficiencies are indicated. If only homocysteine is high, folate and B6 supplementation are suggested. If methylmalonate only is elevated, only B12 supplementation is needed [25].

Here's another area I had a problem with on my Metabolic Analysis, just for the record. I was low in Homovanillic acid and Vanilmandelic acid.

Vanilmandelate (VMA)
Homovanillate (HVA)

These two compounds are metabolites of catecholamines, epinephrine and norepinephrine. Low urinary levels have been associated with low CNS levels of these neurotransmitters. Symptoms associated with this condition are depression, sleep disturbances, inability to deal with stress, and fatigue. Treatments aimed at improving protein digestion and supplementation of the amino acid precursors can normalize neurotransmitter levels in the CNS [28]. A further indication of need for these precursors is low fumarate, a metabolic intermediate that can also be derived from tyrosine and phenylalanine.

And then there's the problem with Candida, and I'll post this in the conf. room for future reference, as well. I was medium high on this, but maybe I'm beginning to get it under control through diet.

Arabinose and Arabinitol

Arabinose is a carbohydrate and arabinitol is the related sugar-alcohol which is a product specifically of anaerobic fungal growth in the gut. The D isomer of arabinitol is produced by fungal metabolism and is urinary excretion is elevated in patients with invasive candidiasis [36,37].

[www.metametrix.com]

Richard
Adrian
December 15, 2003 12:50PM
Richard,

If you are looking to supplement B12 check out the sublingual B-12 from Trivita. It has 1000 mcg of B12 as cyanocobalimin, 5 mg of B6 (as pyridoxine HCL ) and 400mcg of folate (as folic acid). It is absorbed sublingually so doesn't depend on digestion for absorption.

Though I have never been tested for levels I'm pretty sure that I was low because as soon as I started taking it It was as if someone had turned on a light switch and the Sun came out again. I didn't realise the depth of the depression I had sunk into. Wow! what a difference it made. Next time I see my wife's aunt she's going to get a big hug from me. She had sent them to us no charge, just try it out if you don't like it don't pay. I'm still buying and happilly too.

Peace and wellness

Adrian
Richard
December 15, 2003 05:44PM
Thank you, Adrian. I am taking a coenzymated form of the B's, along with methylcobalamin, which is in between oral and injection for it's absorbtion power. There's 1000mcg in the latter of which I am taking twice a day, and the other only once, but my multi also has B's, as well. You're right about it giving you a brighter outlook. I like happy pills.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login