Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jackie and all flecainide users

Posted by Judy 
Judy
Jackie and all flecainide users
December 07, 2003 01:51AM
Since starting on Flecainide last week I have had a couple of the symptoms that are listed under "talk with your doctor about", not under "call immediately".

Dizziness is the main one. Mostly it's just a vague general dizziness, not severe. The other night I was singing at a Christmas concert and suddenly felt that if I didn't get off the stage and sit down my next note would be from the floor with paniced people staring at me. It lasted about an hour.

Last night at a theatrical performance, I had another fun thing happen. When they turned the house lights on for information I turned my head toward the back of the theater and exclaimed to my friend "They're throwing glitter down from the balcony!" They weren't, of course. It was some sort of eye thing; when I moved my eyes lights acted like a mirror ball. Is this what is meant by seeing spots? That's one of the possible side effects of flecainide. My friend freaked out and wanted to take me home, but I prevailed and we enjoyed the second act.

I'll probably call the doctor to run all of this by him, but my question is in your experience, did these side effects lessen over time or are they persistent.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Debbi
Hudy
December 07, 2003 02:50PM
I don't take Flecainide, but I did notice strange symptoms (including dizziness) when I first started on cardiziem and metropolol. They did go away after about 3 weeks.

Debbi
PJ
Re: Flecainide
December 08, 2003 09:46AM
Judy,

I have been on Flecainide for about a month. The first week I was dizzy only one day. However, I have had blurry visiion that comes and goes ever since going on Flec. Interestingly, I also sing in a choir and have a great deal of trouble seeing the music--which is definately a new thing since taking the meds. ( maybe it was the high notes !!)I am also a little nauseated about 2 hours after I take it--and very tired ( but also take 100 mg Toprol which could be causing the fatigue). Hope this information helps-----being on medications can be confusing, if not a little scary, but my cardio tells me it takes awhile for it to get into one's system. Good luck.

PJ
Judy
December 08, 2003 10:28AM
PJ,
Thanks. It IS confusing to say the least. I have noticed in the last couple of days that the dizziness has subsided to next to nothing. I sure don't look forward to blurred vision, though. I'm hoping to skip that effect.
Judy
December 09, 2003 01:11AM
Judy - I've taken flecanide for almost 3 years. Only very occasionally have I experienced dizziness and I could not say for sure it was because of flecanide...too many other possibilities.

I do know that flecanide is said to cause eye problems. Although the lights flashing can be a sign of torn retina or just the onset of floaters....if the lights continue - then see an opthalmologist immediately. I recently had a new bout with flashing lights and another floater. The eye doc said flecanide didn't cause it - but rather it was part of aging...which I don't buy since my first event was when I was under 50.

The one thing I note about flecanide is dehydration. It bothers my eyes - dry and skin, and oral mucosa. So it's important to pay attention to drinking lots of water daily.

How much flecanide are you taking - perhaps it is too much for your body weight and you might be able to manage with less but your cardiologist will have to determine that.
Jackie
Fran
December 09, 2003 05:21AM
I was only on flecainide for three days. I was taken off it due to "an allergic reaction" which consisted of pulsating light (everything was moving and flashing) all over body tremors and shakes along with a very very fast regular heart rate. I suspect atrial flutter as this is what my Dr thought but wanted ECG to confirm - but by the time I got my ECG it had subsided to sinus tachycardia.

Fran
Judy
December 09, 2003 06:12AM
Thanks, Jackie and all,
I am taking 125mg twice a day. The dizziness pretty much went away, but was back a little today. The eye stuff has not returned. Since it went away I haven't asked the doctor about it, but it's still in the back of my mind as a worry that it might have been something unrelated to flecainide and needing to be checked into.
Judy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login