Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Warfarin level and effects of Food/Suppliments

Posted by Babs 
Babs
Warfarin level and effects of Food/Suppliments
December 05, 2003 03:07AM
Just got back from the anticoagulent clinic and found my INR had gone up from 2.10 to 3.70 in 3 weeks. It could be a varity of reasons

I did stop taking some of my suppliments about that time as i was started getting a bad cough. they were Magnesium/Calcium with other ingrediants.
I changed for one month to Flax oil, now back on fish oil. I'm still on CoQ10 but a different brand i believe is a lower dose 10mg previous was 30mg, but it also has Vit E added. Also i'm taking cough linctus. I feel so much better in myself.. still get the flutters and short burst of Afibs lot less than an hour im sure maybe even just few minutes...would love another holter test see what its like now i'm off beta blockers. The Magnesium is also a blood thinner but strangly i've not taken any.

But them chest pains and breathlessness are still there........ i spoke to someone else another patient at hospital who also has the same symptoms, he wasn't told he had Afib till 2 years later whe it happened again. NHS is going down down down.

My diet probably to good, even though doctor said my cholestrol was high 6.5 .....like Fran said it probably wasn't the right result as it was an overall one.

I eat loads of fresh vegetables raw and cooked but just read that eating certain raw vegetables arn't safe should be cooked like cabbage cauliflower broccali and brussel sprouts it says they contain thyroid inhibiting factors that should be destroyed by cooking. Catch 22 we love raw veggies. (from the artical in Nexus Magazine. I do drink a lot of fruit juice and more water as well now. Read water thins the blood to, well i knew it did.

Such is life.........water is life

Babs
Hey Babs

Its not that eating green veg is bad, it is just that you have to be consistent. eg if you eat spinnach 5 times a week, then don't be surprised that your INR has soared if you eat it ten times the next week. If you are consistent with your veg and supplements then your INR should stay stable.

Did you ask your Dr to give you the values for you HDL and LDL rather than just the total?

Fran
Problem is my doctor has palmed us of with his temporary doctors i shall make an appointment see the one who wanted me to have the blood test.
My own doctor always said take pain killers for pain have physio for pain but never seem to go further. Well be glad when i move then ill change doctors.

Babs
Hi Babs,
Fran is correct about being consistent with the veggies, and with the supplements, in order to keep the INR in the right range. I am anal/neurotic/scientific/overly careful in ths regard. I decided to have the vitamin K equivalent of 8 ounces of brocolli every day. So I checked out the USDA web site for the number of milligrams of Vitamin K in various veggies and then weigh (yes weigh) my veggies. My INR rarely deviates by more than 0.2. It's restrictive though since I used to eat about 8 cups of kale or collards or spinach or dandelion green every day and I do feel abused by the diet that my strategy necessitates.
I hope this helps you.
Best,
Lynn
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login