Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flu Vaccine Shot

Posted by Jerry 
Jerry
Flu Vaccine Shot
December 04, 2003 06:53AM
Hi Everyone, I was wondering how many have had or plan to get a flu vaccine? If you did get one did it impact the afib?

Heard today that the CDC is now recommending shots for everyone. Jerry
Re: Flu Vaccine Shot
December 04, 2003 07:04AM
Jerry - I don't plan to get one. They calculate which flu will be the culprit at least six months in advance. Now they find the new flu is a mutation; so the original flu vaccine may or may not help. It is recommended for children and adults - over is it age 50? or 60? but I'm just going to make sure my immune system is optimal, wash my hands often, carry a mask if it need to and rely on the essential oils from plants I have used daily for years.

I've not had a flu shot for 6 years since I stopped working in the clinical setting. I've had one cold in 2.5 years and one short bout with flu because my spouse brought it home and didn't tell me he was ailing until I was exposed.

Again - this is a personal choice. But the news says between 50 and 70,000 deaths are expected in the next few months from this particular strain of flu.

Jackie
Pam
December 04, 2003 07:36AM
Jerry:
I had mine, and no problem what so ever. I am at high risk because when I was on a ventillator so long, I developed scar tissue in my lungs and the last time I had a cold/flu it went into my chest and my doctor thought I had pneumonia. Xrays determined that I did not have, but I would rather be safe as possible. While I would agree with Jackie that I have heard that there is a mutant strain going around, I still feel somewhat protected, and the shot certainly did me no harm. Besides, I can never resist a freebee. Ha

Pam
Don R.
December 04, 2003 08:00AM
Jerry,

I had the flu shot with no impact on afib.

Don R.
Debbi
December 04, 2003 08:23AM
Had the flu shot, was a must since I'm on oxygen and have Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. No problem what so ever. We are having an outbreak in Oklahoma and it's necessary for anyone with health problems.

Debbi
RK
December 04, 2003 09:24AM
I have had flu shots for the past three years and have had no flu in that time. What cold (flu?) I have now is very mild compared to what I used to get before the shots. I never had any a-fib connected with the shots, at least not as far as I can remember.
Cheers, RK
Debbi
Pneumonia
December 04, 2003 10:24AM
Don't forget to add the pneumonia shot if you are over 50, especially if you have other health problems.
Babs
Re: Pneumonia
December 04, 2003 11:46AM
Last year same week as my Afib i was offered the flu jab but declined as i was already coming down with it..... Turned out it was the wrong strain of vaccinne as many of my friends also came down with flu who had the injection I had not been offered it this year. So far i have been pretty lucky what with drinking lots of fruit juice such as orange i just had a mild cold but still got the cough...which was before i had the cold.

Babs
Adrian
December 04, 2003 02:28PM
I've never had a flu shot and I don't think I ever will. Previous to discovering afib I used to get flu and cold about 3 or 4 times a year. Thanks mainly to advice from this board I made the decision to change my diet and try improve my overall health. The result being that In the last 1 1/2 years I have had ONE cold. I find that amazing. At work they drop like flies all around me but I seem to be able to fight it off. I still have the same old AF but I feel a lot better have more energy and truly feel that prgress is being made. Time will tell.

Good health to all

Adrian v49
Peggy Merrill
December 04, 2003 08:28PM
Similar experience to Adrian. Some years back i started taking 4g vit C, 4ooIU vit E, and a multivitamin containing selenium and copper but without iron, and ceased getting the respiratory infections i had been plagued with all my life. From 3-4 a year they dropped to 1 or 2, and not real bad ones either. I was doing cashier work at this time so had a lot of public contact, exposed to whatever was on the other side of the counter.
peggy
Yypo
December 05, 2003 12:43AM
Have had flu shots last 3-4 years with no afib effect.
Michael in San Francisco
December 05, 2003 08:24AM
I have gotten flu shots every year for the last several years. I am 59. I have not had the flu since I can remember. I think the risk of the vaccination itself is very small. The flu vaccine, even if it has not been developed for the major virus strain causing this year's flu, does offer some protection because of the genetic similarity between various flu strains (the technical term for this effect is called cross-immunization, I think). Even though I am in very good health and seldom get a cold, I am in no mood to go through a bout with the flu. Every little bit of protection is good, in my book.
LarryG
December 05, 2003 01:31PM
Got the shot in October. No prob (but remember, I'm persistent).

Have had the shots yearly for the past quarter century. Think I caught the flu once in that period.

LarryG
V / 55
Richard
December 05, 2003 03:35PM
When having the flu shot directly injected into the blood stream, therefore bypassing the normal entries of the immune system, i.e. the lymph glands, do you ever inquire about exactly what else is in the fluids of that shot, besides the small strain of the flu itself? I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole.

Richard
Jeff Gorrin
December 05, 2003 09:07PM
I had my first afib in February 2002. After an ablation in April 2002 I was afib free until October 2003. I had my second ablation on October 29th 2003. This time, no success, I still average 3 hours of afib per day.

Both times that I began having chronic Afib it was right after coming down with a severe flu. I suspect that the flu combined with powerful antibiotics may have caused my afib.
I have a fear of needles. I have been stuck with needles so many times since my ablation 2 months ago that I can't emotionally handle any more needles. I heard that there is a nasal form of vaccine that I will ask my doctor about. However, getting the vaccine to prevent afib now, is too late as the afib is already here.
If my next ablation is successful I will definitely get a flu vaccine.
Richard
December 06, 2003 03:41AM
Jeff,

It is my understanding that the flu is a virus, and antibiotics would only be useful for secondary infections that are of bacterial origin, not viral. Antibiotics destroy the friendly bacteria in the intestines, allowing Candida to run rampant. (See Conf. room discussion). Candida produces acetaldehydes, much like alcohol does.

Richard
Debbi
December 06, 2003 04:10AM
Richard:
One of the complications of flu is pneumonia...........caused by bacterial infection, perhaps giving him antibiotics was for the prevention of/or treatment of pneumonnia
lorraine
December 06, 2003 06:12AM
I got the flu vaccine without it bringing on afib for the last two years. Before afib I also got the vaccine because my husband and son, who don't get the vaccine, come in contact with many students and I didn't want them possibly bringing the flu home home to me. With all the stress I often have, I assume my immune system cannot be too strong (even though I rarely get sick) so I get the shot even though I hate that it contains a small amount of mercury.

I just heard in the news that they are running out of the vaccine and will start giving it only to people over 50, children, and people with health problems (not sure if afib would qualify but probably). So hurry if you want it.

Lorraine
Pam
December 06, 2003 07:39AM
Richard:

What we used to do when people had distruction of bowel norman flora from antibiotics, was to give them plain yogurt or acidophilus. It works well. Once normal flora is reestablished, the yeast is destroyed.

Pam
Char
December 08, 2003 08:44AM
Richard:

The flu vaccine is never administered directly into a vein, i.e. directly into the blood stream. It's always an IM (intramuscular) injection that is barely felt, the needle is so small. I've never inquired re. "what else might be in the vaccine." I used to prepare autogenous vaccine for patients with persistent infections, however. Normal isotonic saline was the usual suspension medium. I believe it is foolhardy to reject the flu vaccine, even if the exact, possibly mutated, strain may not be included due to constant changes within the viral wall. The vaccine still affords a degree of precious immunity. Thousands of people die every year from the flu!! Why would anyone subject themselves to increased danger when it is so readily available, inexpensive, and almost totally painless.

I take the 'readily available' comment back. I just heard on the news that, due to severity of the current outbreak, more people are getting the vaccine and they are having to limit distribution except to high-risk.
Richard
December 08, 2003 02:14PM
Char,

Thank you for your concerns, but I feel much safer by eating correctly and taking supplements. I must add, that when a shot is injected intramusculary, it is going directly in the bloodstream via the capillaries and there is mercury in the shots. My mercury was higher than normal, so I am avoiding it like the plague. If interested, you may want to read this link by Dr. Mercola.

[www.google.com]

Richard
kestra
December 08, 2003 05:36PM
I've never had a flu shot in my life. I don't seem to get the flu. I also rarely get colds, maybe one a year but even less since changing to a mostly paleo diet.

When I do feel a cold starting to come on, I gargle with hydrogen peroxide and swallow just the tiniest amount of it. That seems to knock it out.

k
Richard
December 09, 2003 04:53AM
Kestra,

Thank you for that bit of information. I have been seeing more on hydrogen peroxide, and will have to pay closer attention to the studies. I think a good question to ask oneself is; Are we bankrupting our immune systems?

Richard
Debbi
Hydrogen Peroxide
December 09, 2003 06:35AM
In the 60's my orthodontist was a big advocate of rinsing with hydrogen peroxide for good dental hygene. He did caution about swallowing, though.
Susan
Flu Vaccine concern
October 16, 2004 06:45PM
I have some concerns regarding getting the flu vaccine. I have been recently diagnosed with AF. I have had 7 attacks since January but am in sinus at the moment by taking Flecainide and Atenolol. I am aware not to drink caffeine drinks or colas, because they may cause AF. I had an Af episode once because I drank a Vitaminwater "revive" drink which contained Ginseng extract. My question: I read the side effects of the flu vaccine. One side effect is rapid heartbeat. Does anyone know if the vaccine can bring on a AF attack? I am concern because I don't want to go into AF from taking the vaccine but I know I would be healthier if I don't get the flu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login