Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sinus infection/chest cold

Posted by Thomas Dekker 
Thomas Dekker
sinus infection/chest cold
December 04, 2003 06:02AM
Hi all-

I usually have episodes monthly or slighly less, but I've a bad chest cold and now a sinus infection and have had three episodes in the past week. I've been coughing allot. the first episode lasted about 5 minutes, the second five hours, and the third about 4 minutes, but feels like it is threatening to come back on. I've had afib since 3/01. I'll tell ya, in some ways this thing is not so bad, I mean it's less bad than a migraine I suppose. But it is the unpredictability. When it starts it's just tough to think it's going to stop. I do a pretty good job of dealing with it, but sometimes it's very discouraging. And really I have a pretty mild case, comparatively.

So, does anyone have any experiences with increased frequency during colds/flu/stomach flu(that would be a nightmare af+vomiting)etc? thanks! Thomas
Pam
Re: sinus infection/chest cold
December 04, 2003 06:35AM
Thomas:
Antihistamines are a big trigger for afib. Actifed, Sudafed and or most cold remedies have antihistamine. Check your meds.

Hope you feel better,
Pam
Fran
December 04, 2003 07:14AM
Thomas

I am the other way around. When ever I got ill with flu or colds etc I knew my AF would stay at bay. I never take decongesterants lemsips or anything. These will trigger AF. Just keep well hydrated and eat lots of fruit and veggies. Are you taking anything for your cold or sinus's?

Fran
Jeff
December 04, 2003 07:28AM
I used to find that colds, or any sort of being under the weather tended to bring forward afib. I attributed this to dehydration that often accompanied the illness.
Carol
December 04, 2003 10:51AM
The Arrythmia Unit at Mass General Hospital told me that viruses trigger afib.
Carol
Babs
Re: sinus infection/chest cold - medication
December 04, 2003 11:51AM
The best medication i was told by the Sister at my local hospital when i was admitted during my Afib attack was Simple Cough medicine or Simple Cold medicine it is much safer than all the others and a lot cheaper. She said it would not be safe to take any other medication. You can suck anything like Stripsil for sore throats.

Babs
Yypo
December 05, 2003 12:44AM
I am more vulnerable to afib when I have an infection and/or am feeling weak.
njb
December 05, 2003 01:13PM
I knew of an instance where vomiting stopped a person's afib.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login