Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exercise addicts

Posted by William 
William
Exercise addicts
December 03, 2003 10:36AM
The number of members of this forum who do strenuous excise is remarkable, IMHO.
So this got my attention: [news.bbc.co.uk]
Babs
Re: Exercise addicts
December 04, 2003 01:07AM
I'm afraid i'm not one of those who exercise like the others. I was always fit because i always rushed around when doing things. But since i was diagnosed well before that i was getting chest pains and so it slowed me righ down. Doctors said it has nothing to do with my AFib.

So now i have started to use my exercise cycle. Don't get any pain then.

Babs
Yypo
December 04, 2003 01:09AM
I believe that there is a correlation between afib and a history of strenuous exercise in that the latter probably enlarges the left atrium.
Any other opinions on this?
December 04, 2003 02:42AM
There is also a strong correlation between strenuous exercise and magnesium and potalssium (electrolytes) depletion.

These people need to be aware of that and take measures to ensure their electrolyte levels and hydration are replenished on a regular basis.

Arrhythmias are directly traced to mineral (electrolyte depletion) and have been recognized in several of the sudden death events recently publicized.

Jackie
leslie
December 04, 2003 06:30AM
My comments are more to do with electrolytes. After having had cardioconversion after my last "event", my heart was exceedingly twitchy
afterwards. I was worried about having another episode so soon after.
I have, however, discovered a product called Emergen C that is basically
1000 mg. of vitamin C and minerals ---it functions as an electrolyte replenisher. I find that whenever I feel the onset of pacs, i take one of these packages and so far I feel that it has helped me to avert
episodes. I also take one in the morning and one at night. (Not too close to bedtime, as vitamin functions as a diuretic.) In Canada it is only found inhealth food stores and is rather expensive. In the States, however, it is sold in some grocery stores and in health food stores, and is amazingly
cheap!! They would be particularly good to take after exercising, as
exercising causes free radicals and this would be of great benefit.
December 04, 2003 06:42AM
Leslie - good point.

I love EmergenC and rely upon it all summer when I golf or work in the yard. If anyone can't find it, Vitamin Shoppe online sells it quite reasonably. I believe NOW also has a similar electrolyte product. These little packets are very handy. I always carry some with me just in case.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Jackie
Mark
December 05, 2003 06:05AM
Thought I would share an article entitled "Lone atrial fibrillation in vigorously exercising middle aged men: case-control study" by Jouko Kajalainen, et al. in the BMJ, Volume 316 13 June 1998: "Regular physical exercise reduces cardiovascular morbidity. However, our clinical impression is that atrial fibrillation is quite common in otherwise healthy middle aged men engaged in long term vigorous endurance sports. We therefore compared the prevalence of atrial fibrillation in middle aged men doing intense endurance training and men from the general population."
Their conclusion was: "Vigorous long term exercise is associated with atrial fibrillation in healthy middle aged men despite protecting against coronary heart disease and premature death. In population studies the average prevalence of atrial fibrillation, persistent or paroxysmal, is 0.5% in subjects aged 45-54 years, about 1% at 55-64 years, and 4% at 65-74 years. The prevalences of lone atrial fibrillation in our sportsmen were higher.
"The reason for the increased risk of atrial fibrillation in middle aged indurance athletes can only be speculated. Enhanced vagal tone, characteristic of endurance athletes, predisposes normal hearts to atrial fibrillation. Atrial enlargement and left ventricular hypertrophy, both features of the endurance athlete's heart, may further increase the tendency to atrial fibrillation. We do not know whether stopping exercise would have prevented reoccurrence of atrial fibrillation. Most of the orienteers with commonly relapsing cases had responded adequately to antiarrhythmic drugs and continued competing."
Seth
December 08, 2003 04:05AM
Mark,
Thats a remarkable link, one that I have a hard time even formulating a response to.......to think that years of all day rides primed me to be at risk, is almost too much to take.

sm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login