Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

diaphragm adjustment

Posted by dave nicoll 
dave nicoll
diaphragm adjustment
December 02, 2003 03:48AM
just noticed a referance to "daphragm adjustment"(jackie-28/11).could jackie or anyone else bring me up to speed on this.i have long suspected a diaphragm connection re my own problem,but this is the first time i have seen anyone mention it on the bb.
dave
njb
Re: diaphragm adjustment
December 02, 2003 06:11AM
Dave - I don't know what Jackie wrote about, but I have learned that the phrenic nerve controls the diaphragm and is paceable.
njb
December 02, 2003 06:12AM
I learned about the above because it came up during my pulmonary vein ablation.
December 03, 2003 02:52AM
Dave - I wrote about diaphragm adjustment several times because it is one of the important discoveries I made that helped control afib...(keep in mind that I was on Flecanide and was having breakthrough arrhythmia inspite of the 200 mg. a day of Flecanide.

I was hiccoughing quite a bit. (Unusual forme) and I read that is a sign of two things: displaced diaphragm (hiatal hernia) - as in muscle spasm of the diaphragm - and magnesium deficiency.

I made an evaluation appointment with a chiropractor who said the diaphragm was, indeed, displaced. I had about five appointments where he worked on the diaphragm. Actually, after the very first one, the hiccoughs stopped and the afib lessened from everyother day to once a week. But, a hiccough could still set off afib, so the treatment continued.

After my recent ablation, I had the diaphragm checked again, and it was out of place - and adjusted. Luckily, the displacement had no adverse affect and I was in NSR both before and after ablation.

The vagus nerve is involved and if that is disturbed, pinched or distressed, at least for me, I tended to get afib. This could also possibly explain why I was never able to bend over from the waist without triggering afib. Like gardening or putting the golf ball on the tee.

Now, I am able to bend over and in the golfing season, I had no trouble with the ball/tee thing.

No doubt the adjustment was the largest factor, but I don't discount the fact that I increased magnesium at the same time to about double the amount I was taking - between 800 and 900 mg. of magnesium glycinate, to decrease the potential for muscle spasm.

Jackie
Marshal
December 03, 2003 03:30AM
Jackie,
I have had the same problems bending over. I too, play golf. Putting the ball on the tee or swinging hard will give me ectopics every time. I am going to have surgery after the first of the year to repair my hiatial hernia. My doc says that should help with the pac's etc. I have had trouble with reflux for years and have always believed there is a connection.

blessings,
MLM
dave nicoll
December 03, 2003 03:39AM
many thanks for the info,i'll get mine checked out!
dave
December 03, 2003 08:22AM
Marshall - Surgery sounds pretty drastic. Have you had it checked out with a chiropractor? I hate to butt in but geez - surgery is still surgery.

The manipulations I had were just that - a little tender, but effective.

Before when I would golf and sometimes the ball wouldn't cooperate by staying on the tee the first time - that little bit of extra fiddling would do it. I discussed this with my chiropractor who also golfs and he said - wow - that makes so much sense - the vagus is right there.

So the next time he golfed, he "squatted" and put the ball on the tee. Then he hit the ball and said he was totally blown away by how much better and farther he hit the ball. He said - I'm going to continue to tee up in this manner and not disturb the vagus nerve.

I didn't try his method, but I plan to this year when the season rolls around again.

Jackie
will
December 03, 2003 12:35PM
Diaphragm adjustment in lieu of surgery is strongly recommended by Dr. Bruce West on Health Alert. West himself, a powerful athletic type, required just such an adjustment for hiatal hernia. He provides a protocol in Health Alert.
Marshal
December 03, 2003 11:39PM
Jackie,
Your not butting in! I have tried the chiro route several times. Of course, it might depend on how skilled one Chiro is -vs- another...but I didn't work for me. Additionly, it bruised my belly like no body's business! I have severe reflux, and just getting the stomach back in place won't fix my problem. I need to have the LES (lower esophagel sphincter sp) repaired. They can do it laproscopically now, and it is much safer. Believe me, I have thought about this for several years. I'm tired of chest pain, bloating, belching etc...etc... Plus, I feel in my heart that it is the primary cause of the episode of AFIB I had in 2000. I am hoping to continue losing weight, have the surgery for the hernia, and get off the NORPACE.

blessings,
MLM
December 04, 2003 03:02AM
MLM - Blessings to YOU. I honor your decision to do the surgery based on your past experiences. I truly hope it will be the answer to the reflux issue.

Just a comment - I've had at least 7 chiropractic adjustments and was never bruised once. And, I bruise very easily. It was somewhat painful, I must admit, but it did work. However, it doesn't seem to be permanent, at least yet...I keep having to have minor adjustments.

You have good goals and I'm sure that one by one, all of them will be accomplished to your satisfaction and good health.

I wish you every success. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Be well, Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login