Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Levels of medication effectiveness

Posted by Kyle 
Kyle
Levels of medication effectiveness
December 01, 2003 02:09PM
I want to try spacing out my daily medication starting with metoprolol for various reasons. I have a pill cutter and the lowest level that I can cut is 12.5 mg. Does anyone know if this dosage is too low for any effect?

And yes, I have tried toprol (the time release version) but again for various reasons, I rather not take this. Thanks.
Debbi
Re: Levels of medication effectiveness
December 02, 2003 12:23AM
Kyle,
I wouldn't go below 25mg.

d.
J. Pisano
Re: Levels of medication effectiveness
December 02, 2003 02:48PM
Kyle,

Metroprolol and Toprol are the same Drug. One is a Brand Name and one is generic. However, granted there may be some difference between the succinate (toprol) and the tartrate (Metroprolol by itself or Lopressor).

Typically they start people out at 12.5mg and work up to as much as 200-450 mg daily!

This drug did very bad things to me personally. I went off it almost as soon as I went on it.

This is a beta-adrenergic blocker, or beta blocker. There are many other classes of drugs you can try or many different beta blockers, talk to your doctor about an antiarrhtymic or calcium channel blocker.

I have swithced to Rhytmol, I tolerate it much better, but don't use it daily only on-demand.

Also, you really shouldn't change your dosage without at least talking to your doc about it first. Toporol is usually presribed when there is more than one thing happening. Such as high blood pressure (hypertension), prevention of heart attacks or to decrease the likelihood of a second attack, reduce incidence of angina, and as a treatment for congestive heart failure (Toprol XL only) some people think it's a magic bullet. I don't.

Wishing you good health,

Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login