Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Thanksgiving and Cranberry

Posted by [email protected] 
Greetings
Now I was reading Toby’s’ post regarding Turkey as a trigger this made me think that on Thanksgiving do Americans have Cranberry sauce with Turkey?. Then I remembered an alert that Cranberry juice shouldn’t be drunk with various blood thinning agents such as Coumadin. I briefly searched for the term Cranberry on this forum and came up the information in posts.
I have not gone into any depth on this as it doesn’t affect me as on Thursday I will probably be having my weekly fish and chips from the chippie and I take aspirin. Hope I’m not alarmist just a thought
Be seeing you
Chris H
Re: Thanksgiving and Cranberry
November 23, 2003 10:18AM
Thanks Chris - the health columns in the papers here are already alerting those on Coumadin to avoid cranberry. Bummer! Jackie
J. Pisano
Re: Thanksgiving and Cranberry
November 25, 2003 04:03PM
Hello Friends,

An ongoing University of Wisconsin study is researching the cranberry's ability to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. Scientists have found that cranberry extract contains polyphenol compounds called flavonoids, which may help maintain heart health. In fact, the Wisconsin study has already shown that the properties of cranberry juice that could contribute to inhibiting blood clotting, promoting blood vessel diameter and preventing clogged arteries are equivalent to those of red wine.

You know... just a question, if cranberry is so good at preventing clotting and has no side effects, they why not just use cranberry extract? It seems that if you are on coumadin and eat cranberries there is a risk of hypovolemic shock due to the thinning of blood. Is the mainstream medical establishment admitting the real effects of cranberries in way that bastardizes them because of how effectful they really are? In other words let's give creadence to their ability to actually prevent clotting, but raise the alarm that they are bad for you because it's normal to be on coumadin....and cranberries and coumadin don't mix. Let's just forgo the cranberries..... More coumadin please!

Joe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login