Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Here's What the Surgeon Told Me

Posted by Marshal 
Marshal
Here's What the Surgeon Told Me
November 21, 2003 11:09AM
Guys & Gals,
I visited the surgeon yesterday about repairing my hiatal hernia & getting my stomach back down in place. He bragged on me for the weight I had lost, and told me I was a good candidate for the surgery. His suggestion was to have me lose about 25 more pounds on low carb, then do the surgery. He believed that my results would be much better in the long run. My PH monitor showed significant refulx during periods of chest discomfort etc. By the by.....he said he BELIEVED that afib and GERD are related. He thinks it has to do with the vagus nerve connection.

blessings,
MLM
will
Re: Here's What the Surgeon Told Me
November 21, 2003 12:52PM
I don't mean to meddle, but Dr. Bruce West in Health Alert takes a very strong position against hiatal surgery, and provides a much less drastic intervention to reverse this type of hernia.
Marshal
November 21, 2003 03:17PM
Don't suppose I've ever heard of him. Do you have a link?

blessings,
mLM
will
November 22, 2003 09:43AM
Ralph Misitano RRT, RN
I have recurrent a-fib, usually in the evenings.
November 22, 2003 07:25PM
I don't drink and I don't smoke. I do what I want, I surf in the ocean, I run marathons and I work a particularly stessful job as a Registered Nurse on a Busy Medical Surgical Unit. My A-fib usually comes on at night, unuall after eating dinner following some workout of some sort. I'm Really pissed because but for the few afib episodes I get on a fairly regularly basis, my heart seens strong as a horse most of the time. I'm not eager to become a patient in the cardio clinic. I don'tn wand durgs or procedured. I just want some to tell me what I ead, how much to sheel and how frequeatly I should have sex in order to keep my AS Node happy. Anybody out there know if there is a non-traditional way of coping with a-bib?
My non traditional method of dealing with AF (and it has worked for me) is to do what I want or need SO LONG AS IT DOES NOT STRESS ME.

Artificial foods (processed and dead) stress me. I find this includes supplements as they have been processed. I only eat fresh food that I prepare myself. No bought sauces etc. I also pay particular attention to how I cook it so as not to break the glutamate proteins down and create free glutamate, better known as MSG. I pay attention (and it was a big learning curve) to what nutrients and minerals are in the foods I eat. That way I can make sure I am getting enough omega 3, fish oil, magnesium, copper, zinc, vitamin C, B E etc

I have also discovered that I do much better on a paleolithic diet (no grains potatoes or dairy). This type of eating is great for insulin control and underlying problems like candida, celiac etc. Things that could cause AF after many years of subclinical symptoms, or other symptoms such as GERD that still are not generally accepted as being connected with AF. But we know better.

Hope that helps if you want to try it

Fran
ralph misitano
Re: I have recurrent a-fib, usually in the evenings.
November 23, 2003 07:22AM
Boy, I really need to proof read what I post. Please excuse my earlier typos, misspells and poor grammer. And thank you, Fran, for the great reply. I think you are definately on to a very good lifestyle. I try my best to live and eat clean, but it's not always easy to eat everything one should and none of what one should not. Exercise and a daily baby aspirin, along will my best attempt at a balanced diet, are about the best I can do right now. I really think stress mitigation is what I need to do a better job of as well. I also need to learn more about a-fib and how I can keep my SA node happy. I'm glad I found this site. Thanks and aloha.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login