Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rusting

Posted by Jerry 
Jerry
Rusting
November 21, 2003 03:15AM
Pulling up a topic generated from an earlier post by JR Babb.

In the post, he/she talks about the appearance of "rusting" on the lower legs. This is a discoloration visible beneath the skin, and it has a yellow-orange-brown characteristic to it. This is evidence that there has been bleeding in those vessels, and the "rusting" is the discoloration that comes from the release of iron from the red blood cells.

Sometimes, this is a function of thrombocytopenia (idiopathic or otherwise). Even people who take a bit too much aspirin can experience that effect. Either way, it is wise to discuss this symptom with your doctor, since it might suggest that there is more bleeding going on than you and he might like. I would also suggest that you consider having a serum ferritin sample done, so you can be certain how much of an iron load you're carrying around. Too much would not be a good thing, since any kind of stroke could lead to what is known as a reperfusion injury to tissues, which could be badly damaged by the sudden re-flow of iron-rich blood after a cardiac or cerebral event.

All the best...Jerry
sami
Re: Rusting
November 21, 2003 04:31AM
Has this got anything to do with coumadin intake and insidious bleeding in other areas subclinically such as the brain?
November 21, 2003 05:59AM
Of course; that's the downside of coumadin.... if you can see the visual effects....what about those you can't see....and the risk of hemorrhagic stroke.

Long term use of Coumadin should always be a concern.

I had a patient who told me he had bleeding like "rusting" that blackened his entire leg from the top down. Elderly and long-term coumadin use.
He lost muscle strength in that leg; eventually, he had it in both legs and walked with the use of canes.

Jackie
Babs
November 21, 2003 01:08PM
I've been on Warfarin over a year now. I did have platelet blood test along with various others. Was told it was ok(apart from cholestrol). The reason i had it done was because i have a lot of trouble walking my legs hurt a lot, infact the muscles in my thighs feel acky and sore at times, and when i have been lying down i get terrible pains in my thigh bone going sharply down my legs. I was wondering if it was the Warfarin. Was also wondering if it has anything to do with weight gain.

Babs
November 22, 2003 01:51AM
Babs - I've not read that Warfarin contributes to weight gain... but I haven't specifically looked for that, either.

Obviously, weight gain is going to influence structural function which would include back and leg pain.

It's important to discuss with your doctor bone pain.

good luck. Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login