Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What supplements do YOU use?

Posted by Sammy 
Sammy
What supplements do YOU use?
November 20, 2003 05:11PM
I just wanted to do an informal survey.I`d like to know what supplements you take and how many mg.per day....I`ll start the survey by giving my own stats at the current time....PS,feel free to add medications as well...Also,if you see any problems with interactions of certain supplements or meds,let the person know......I take-1000mg ester C,400mg mixed tocopherol ,5mg Lycopene,50mg selenium(every 3rd day,)400 mg garlic extract,250mg Magnesium,1 acidopholis tablet,250mg Niacin,50 mg Zinc,1000mg. flaxseed oil and 8 grams of psyllium husk powder..My meds are- 20mg Aciphex and 25mg Toprol....The Ginko,licorice,potassium and CoQ10 are sitting in the cabinet unused at the moment...The CoQ really didn`t work for me.....Thanks..
Peggy Merrill
Re: What supplements do YOU use?
November 20, 2003 08:12PM
Hello, Sammy. This is a good question, something i've been curious about myself. Let's see if i can just recite them. i don't think i have formally listed mine before.

Mornings: 2 aspirin, vit E [mixed tocopherols] 400IU. garlic 1250 mg, vit C 3 g, oystercal w/ vit D [2 500 mg tabs], Puritan's Pride fishoil 3 g, B50 one cap, Carlson's Mg glycinate 2 tabs, taurine 3g.

Evenings: 2 aspirin if necessary for knee pain, vit E same, garlic same, vit C same, 2 oystercal tabs without vit D, fishoil same, Twinlab i daily w/o iron, Mg same, taurine same, also prescription Lisinopril for high blood pressure 5 mg [half of a 10 mg tab].

Have recently been able to substitute aspirin for naproxen, knee problem seems to be healing at last. If the knees are really hurting me, i take codeine.

Sometimes take melatonin or benadryl for sleeplessness. When i retired i redefined "the sleeping problem" out of existence. When sleepy, i lie down. When i wake up i get up. Whether these events occur at 4am or 4pm, its not a problem. I find that i sleep about 6 hrs a 'night' this way. If i have an appointment the next day i take either melatonin or 1 benadryl tab the night before so as to get there on time and alert. I no longer spend any time in bed in the dark, staring at the ceiling wishing i could go to sleep.

Peggy
Peggy Merrill
November 21, 2003 03:08AM
PS i forgot one. Morning and night, 10,000 IU betacarotene.
Peggy
Richard
November 21, 2003 04:04AM
Ok, are you ready. These are the nutrients that Dr. Gersten prescribed in the order of importance.

1. VitaMinz Plus by Montiff - 1 tab 3xs per day with meals.
2. B-Complete - Montiff - 1 tab 2xs per day bkft/dinner
3. TriPhos B - Montiff - 2 tabs 1 hr. bef bkft/2 mid AM
4. NeuroBalance - Montiff - 2 tabs 1 hr. bef bkft/2 mid AM (tyrosine/n-acetyl tyrosine w/P%5P)
5. Monti Shake - Montiff - 1 per day, but I'm not doing presently. Worried about free glutamate.
6. Pure N-acetyl-cysteine - Montiff (I'm using Jomarlabs.com) - 1 cap 500mg. 3x's day - br, lu, din
7. Ultra Flora Plus - Metagenics - 1 cap 3xs per day - br, lu, din
8. Pure L-Glutamine - 1 cap 3xs per day - br, lu, din. Montiff but using jomar labs.
9. Pure Taurine - Montiff - 2 caps 3xs per day - br, lu, din
10. GlucaBalance - Montiff - 3 caps 3x's per day - br, lu, din - amino blend
11. Biological Pure Protein - Metagenics - 1x per day - amino blend
12. GLA Forte - Metagenics - 1 cap 3x's per day - br, lu, din - gamma linolenic acid - I was low on my fatty acid analysis in this.
13. Intrinsi B12/Folate - Metagenics - 1 cap 3xs day - br, lu, din
14. Super Antioxidant - Montiff - 1 tab 3xs day - br, lu, din
15. Mg. Glycinate - Metagenics - 1 tab 2xs day - br, lu - This seems low for some, but my intracellular was fine.
16. Cal-Apatite - Metagenics - 1 daily before bed
17. Super C plus - Montiff - 1 tab 3xs per day - br, lu, din. Time released.
18. Molybdenum - Carlsons - 1 daily 500mcg.
19. Mineral Complex - Montiff - 1 tab 2xs day - br, din.
20. Lipotain - Metagenics - Niacinamide - 1 tab 2xs day - br, din.
21. Garlic - 1 tab 2xs day - I haven't gotten this yet.
22. Ultra Carnitine - Montiff - 1 cap 3xs day - br, lu, din
23. Cir-Cu-Care - Montiff - 1 tab 3xs day - br, lu, din - supports circulation with a combo of extracts, aminos, reduced glutathione

Not in numerical order but required. Tryptophan 3 caps 1500mg bef. bed. Presently I'm taking 1000mg.

So I'm a walking pill swallowing machine.
Richard
Peggy Merrill
November 21, 2003 04:15AM
Richard, forgive me for not remembering, but how are you doing afib-wise? I think it might be important to be able to see what results people are getting, as well as what they are taking for it.
Peggy
Newman
November 21, 2003 04:44AM
Richard,

Maybe an ablation would be cheaper.

Newman
kjell
November 21, 2003 07:45AM
what the f--- are you doing??????????????,stop all that crap, you are
putting your body in unbalance with all these pills, putt them away for three weeks ,and then start carefully with one or two supplements, then you can feel and control whats works for you, as it is now you have no control.

kjell
kjell
November 21, 2003 07:47AM
sorry ,my words was for Richard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kjell
Buster
November 21, 2003 07:52AM

I take a long list of supplements but they did not have any noticeable effect on my mixed afib episodes(with the exception of alpha lipoic acid, which was a trigger for me, so I no longer take that).
What did help, for about two years, was flecainide and a beta blocker. Then last September the nightime episodes began overcoming the flecainide, even at a higher dosage. I was having night episodes more often than every other night, which lasted several hours and ruined my sleep. Daytime was fine.
In desperation I began experimenting with combinations of supplements and finally hit on a formula that has worked for me, at least in the short term: I have not had an afib episide for almost 40 days.
In addition the the two above medications, and 400 mg magnesium glycinate twice a day, just before bed I take a third dose of 400 mg mag glycinate; 2000mg L-arginine' and 500-1000 mg of taurine. (1000mg of taurine sometimes has a agitating effect and makes it hard to get to sleep, so I usually use 500mg)
When I told my usually open-minded cardiololgist about my success, he commented "that interesting."
For the longer run I have sent my medical records to CCF and hope that an ablation will resolve the problem.

Buster
Fran
November 21, 2003 08:29AM
Don't take any supplements at all. I get everything I need from fresh paloe diet and its worked for me this last two years - after 20 years of AF.

fran
Ella
November 21, 2003 10:35AM
6000 ui fish & flaxseed oil in 3 divided doses
1200 mg mag glycinate in 3 divided doses
1000 mg time released vitamin C
120 mg Gingko Biloba 2 divided doses
1 mg xanax in 4 divided doses

Celtic sea salt w/ 84 trace minerals

everything else from fresh food - no grains, no gluten or chemicals

Ella
Richard
November 21, 2003 01:37PM
Peggy,

So far, so good, but I must add, in case you didn't know, that I still take flecainide. I also would like to say, that I'm feeling really good, and actually was able to go for a 5 day trip with friends, and not eat so good, without any problems, whatsoever. It wasn't really my choice, but we were at football games, taverns, and the like, so I did the best I could.

Kjell,

Thank you for your concern. I know it sounds crazy, but I did initiate these nutrients slowly. I drew up charts on Excel and analyzed all the combined vitamin data. So far I have had no problems, and I am being very in tune to my body. I have to admit I was a bit surprised by the list, hence why I proceeded somewhat slowly. I figure I was just as much a guinea pig before, on all the different meds that were thrown at me, so now I'll be a guinea pig with what Dr. Gersten recommends and see what happens. I don't know what the outcome will be, but I look at it like this; that I'm throwing to the body everything it could possibly need, in hopes that I'll cover all the bases. I'm still eating a very good diet, too. This is only a temporary situation, and I am suppose to speak with Dr. Gersten in a few weeks.

Newman,

Ha! You're absolutely correct, in that the ablation would have been less expensive, but I've already had two flutter ablations, and I would guess that the hospital expenses are pushing upwards of $50,000. Thank goodness I have medical insurance.

Wouldn't it be the pits if my problem was a polymorphism!!!!!
But then again, what if this cured my problem? That's what I'm hoping for.

Richard
Newman
November 21, 2003 05:35PM
Richard,

I was kidding.

I think it is great that you are experimenting. You might find the answer.

Best of luck,

Newman
Richard
November 22, 2003 02:46AM
Newman,

That's just how I took it, that's why I put HA. I thought it was pretty funny and oh so true.

Richard
Carol
November 22, 2003 08:37AM
Richard,

How do you feel in general pn this regimen?

Is your afib diminishing on this regimen?

Thanks, Carol
Peggy Merrill
Buster - Re: What supplements do YOU use?
November 23, 2003 03:53AM
Buster will you tell us when or if that 40 day run terminates? Personally i hope it lasts forever and i know you must hope so too. "That's interesting", indeed. If you have found a supplement combination that keeps you afib-free, he ought to be real interested. [sigh]

Peggy
Richard
Re: Buster - Re: What supplements do YOU use?
November 23, 2003 06:27AM
Carol,

Well, I thought it was helping, because I felt more energetic and clear headed, but as I mentioned on a different post, I went out of rhythm yesterday, so I am reassessing. Yesterday was also harder to convert, but finally did late last night, by upping flec. dosage. Read my comment on the Creatine post. Carol, I think you might be served by upping your glycine. You found good results from Mg, and I think Mg is very important, but you may have been having good results from the glycine, as well. You can buy glycine at www.jomarlabs.com. This is an excellent source of amino acids.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login