Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I got some test results back !!!

Posted by Marshal 
Marshal
I got some test results back !!!
November 18, 2003 11:31PM
The reason I writing this is because I have been told by numerous doctors that there is NO connection between AF and GERD. I do not agree and I wanted to share this with the good folks I've met here on the BB.
A brief history for those of you who don't know, I was put on atenolol a few years ago for mild anxiety. After being on it for some time, I began to notice a funny flip flop or ectopic beat (Didn't have a clue what they were then) a few times each week. Then on Sunday morning the 24th of Sept 2000, I got up for Sunday School, went to the bathroom, and as I was standing there noticed a funny sensation in my chest. I got real still and at first couldn't figure out what it was. I finally realized...hey dude your heart is beating funny!! Didn't have any major symptoms just the erratic beat of 160 bpm or so. I got worried after a bit and went to the ER. There I was told I was in Afib. They gave me some meds through an IV, and I converted on my on. Had all the usual tests everthing check out fine and was put on 150 mg of Control Release Norpace and digoxin. The cardio diagnosed Lone AF and said if I didn't stay on the meds, I'd probably go back into afib.
Prior to all this I was having terrible problems with GERD. I was waking up at night and walking the floors. I was convinced I was having a heart attack several times. Eventually that is why my doc put me on the atenolol, for the anxiety.
Now, I have lost a good amount of weight and my GERD got better for a while, but I still had ectopics and chest discomfort. Thankfully, I've not had a another episode of afib. After losing the weight my cardio took me off the digoxin and cut me down to one 150 norpace CR daily, instead of two. I have been on that dosage for almost a year. Still a few pvc's/pac's/abc's/eieio's ect...but not afib.
If I had to guess, I would consider myself vagal, (can't really tell after just one episode) but after all the scares I've hadwith this, it doesn't take much to get me nervous and thinking something bad it about to happen. I have shared this with some of you before, especially Mike F. that I believe nerves/anxiety is a trigger for me.
Last week I had EGD (scope down the throat to check my GERD) as my symptoms were returning quite frequently. I also had what they call a "BRAVO" study, which measure the amount of acid coming up. My gastro, who is a friend of mine, called me at home last night with the results. He said dude...at least a third of your stomach is up in your diaphragm! This has probably been crowding your heart, especially after a large meal. Also, part of the "BRAVO" study allows you to push a button on the receiver when you have a symptom...for example when you feel burning sensation, or chest pain, heart flutter etc. Well, when I felt etcopics and chest discomfort, it coinsided with large amounts of stomach contents coming up.
So, I hope I haven't bored anyone with my rambling....but there is no way to convince me that there isn't a connection to GERD and LAF in some folks. My doc says I need to have the surgery to pull my stomach back down and fix the LES (lower esopageal sphincter) muscle.
The fact that my stomach is pushing up into the chest area is bound to aggravate the heart muscle and the the vagus nerve. My doc did tell me that vagal stimulation from GERD does mimic a heart attack in many patients.
A penny for your thoughts.

Blessings,
MLM
Richard
Re: I got some test results back !!!
November 19, 2003 03:18AM
Marshal,

I'm glad you may have found your cause. I know nothing about your particular situation to your stomach placement, nor have I ever heard of that before. Two things I would like to ask however is; did it ever occur to you that the atenolol could have been the cause of your AF in the first place, and are you still on atenolol?

Richard
Marshal
November 19, 2003 03:33AM
Richard,

Yes it it occur to me. I think it is what triggered the beginning of the ectopics I experienced. I think (I think) my problem all along was the Gastro which has obviously worsened in the last five years. The GERD made me nervous and contributed to the anxiety...when the atenolol was added to the mix...the cascade continued until the afib episode. My cardio, who is a friend of mine, and the most prominent (plumber) in my area....admits that he is not an electrician. He is old-school, and felt that the small dose of norpace that I'm taking will not be of any harm. And, I haven't, thankfully, had another afib incident, and it's been over three years. But I don't want to be taking ANY meds. He says if I continue doing well on the weight loss, he will take me off the Norpace and see what happens. I have lost 60 lbs on the atkins diet.

blessings,
MLM
Pam
November 19, 2003 06:09AM
Marshal:
I think that GERD and afib are definately related. Perhaps once you have your hiatal hernia repaired, it will be the end of the afib.

"I was put on atenolol a few years ago for mild anxiety. "

Atenalol is not an antianxiety drug, so at the time that it was prescribed for you, you had no afib? I don't understand.

Pam
Marshal
November 19, 2003 06:16AM
Yes, I know. My regular doc, not the cardio put me on it. I'm a muscian also, and atenolol which is actually perscribed for high blood pressure is the so called "musicians drug". It is know to relieve stage fright to some degree because it slows the heart rate. That is why it is sometimes given to folks with afib..to slow the heart rate. But I think it messed me up! I didn't need slowing down. It is still very popular amoung performers today to take a beta-blocker before going onstage.

blessings,

MLM
Dean
November 19, 2003 08:20AM
Marshal,
I went down the gastro path and had the exactly the same tests as you with nearly the same results. Loose LES, GERD, Intermitent Osopagus function.
Saw my EP the other week and he made this statement:

"I think afib and GERD are definately connected. Nearly all my collegues disagree and say GERD has nothing to do with afib but I am now convinced with you and several of my other patients that there is a definate link."

So there you go. There are quite a few afibbers on this website convinced GERD is responsible.
I think we are starting to make inroads into LAF!
Dean
Marshal
November 19, 2003 12:27PM
Dean,
Thanks for the response. I totally agree. I first began to wake up at with food coming back up in my throat. I think the term is "waterbrash". When I've had too much to eat, I get lots of ectopics. If the stomach is distended into the upper chest, this would certainly have the tendency to disturb the heart....and the vagus nerve as well.

blessings,
MLM
Dean
November 19, 2003 02:49PM
Marshal,
Seeing as both our afib seems to be caused buy GERD I will briefly outline what I have found as it may help you.(see also my answer on this website: Re: Vagal A-Fib Portal Dean 10-07-03 17:26 )

I'm 47, slightly overweight. Have had afib since 1997. My afib only occurs between 6am and 11pm in the day and is always associated with eating and stomach discomfort and physical movement.
I have never been put on heart meds. I only take "Losec" (1 tablet a day) and have been on them for 2 years. When I started on Losec afib decreased immediately to several a year but I was still getting flutter and pac's several times a day. In August I cut out all processed sugar (virtually a diabetic diet) and afib, flutter and pac's all but disappeared. I have now started on "Yakult" stomach bacteria enrichment supplement daily and it really keeps my stomach and digestive system "quiet".

I think the secret with our GERD afib is to keep the digestive system as quiet as possible (thereby decreasing stomach and digestive electrical activity, ie. cutting down ectopic beats to the heart???!!!!) so anything that you can find to quiet your stomach should help. Fran is always the one with good suggestions about diet.
Regards
Dean
Marshal
November 19, 2003 11:28PM
Dean,
I'm have much the same profile as you. I'm 42, 6'-5", and weigh about 295 now. I would like to lose 40 more lbs. I have a fairly muscular build, so I can carry a bit more weight the norm. For my height I should weigh 215 according to the charts...I would look like I malnourished at 215! Anywho, I have a consult with a surgeon this afternoon to talk about the gastro surgery. I'm leaning toward trying it. I am tired of the bloated feeling, chest discomfort, and especially the pac's. I'm just blessed that I have not had break-throughs of afib. My cardio says Norpace is one of the better meds to be on...if you must be on one. The main thing I've noticed is that I don't have the stamina that I had before, and it takes very little to get my heart rate up. But I'm probably not in the "greatest" of aerobic conditions either. I'm not a couch tater, but could do more. To be honest, I've been sort of scared to, thinking I might do more harm than good. But I could do more safely, if I would apply myself. I do believe that diet has a great deal to do with electrical activity in the heart. I have had bad luck taking many supplements, and hesitate to try them as I get numerous pac's. Thanks for the responses.

blessings,
MLM
Bill
November 20, 2003 03:49AM
Some years ago my then cardio referred me for gastroscopy and that examination confirmed dismotility, hiatal pouch and acid reflux. There is no doubt that AF and Gerd/Hiatus Hernia are linked.
I take Lansoprazole to control the acid but since changing my diet, have had very few GERD problems.
AF is currently under control with Disopyramide - great stuff so far, hope it holds!
61 year old vagal Afibber
Fran
November 20, 2003 04:31AM
I have to say that every cardio I have ever seen about AF has asked me about stomach discomfort aswell. Unfortuanately (fortunately really) I have never had much stomach discomfort so hope I have not blown the GERD AF connection with Scottish Dr's. I just wonder if I have the silent type of GERD as all in my family suffer it bad.

Fran
Marshal
November 20, 2003 05:12AM
Fran,
I have never really had the heartburn sensation with mine very often. Mostly mine is pressure, bloating, and food trying to come back up.

blessings,
MLM
Char
November 20, 2003 06:06PM
Marshall,

I am totally convinced that GERD and AF are related....as well as beta blockers. I first noticed AF when on atenolol (for mod. elevated BP)approx. 7 years ago.. I was subsequently put on two other beta blockers. The AF became more and more frequent and of longer duration before I finally realized the connection. I could never convince my cardio., but I am totally convinced that beta blockers contribute to AF (vagal, anyway) and that GERD and AF are related. I have the same digestive symptoms...pressure, bloating, burping air, but no heartburn. It's just too much of a coincidence that so many of us should experience similar symptoms.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login