Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Are Fran and Erling's methods effective for anybody else?

Posted by Peggy Merrill 
Peggy Merrill
Are Fran and Erling's methods effective for anybody else?
November 18, 2003 11:07PM
Has anybody other than those 2 excellent persons had success with their methods? Has anybody thoroly applied those methods? I don't think i qualify as thorough, though i have moved in both their directions.

Personally, i have changed my diet a lot toward paleo, largely eliminating what i call plastic food. By that i mean all packaged food, white sugar, white flour, white rice, white potatoes, soda-pop, and most grains. Occasionally i eat a slice of Ezekiel brand sprouted wheat bread, but no other bread. Sometimes i cook some brown rice, and rarely some beans or peasoup. I do eat out several times a month, and those are occasions for moderate excess in terms of baked potato, gravy, and dessert.

I do supplement with Carlson's Mg glycinate, 2 tabs at night and one in the morning, and also extra B complex and antioxidants and v8 juice for potassium. I have not so far used waller water. As soon as i get another bottle of taurine i will go back up to 2 tabs Mg in the morning and 2 at night. I find that the taurine counters the bowel-loosening effect of the Mg.

Other than 2 very short episodes related to use of a season salt containing msg, i have been free of afib events most of this year. If this keeps up for 1 calendar year, i think i can call myself cured. I would like to hear others' thoughts on this.

Peggy
I also do the paleolithic diet and Waller Water.
No drugs or supplements. (except organic coffee and tobacco)
Improvement has been very slow, but it has improved to the point that I expect to be free of psvt in time.
I don't have access to the variety of foods that Fran and Erling use, and what there is is not of the best quality.
Have been trying natural progesterone lately, not sure if it has had any effect.

I'm certain that food is the right medicine, the trick is to guess which food that is, and try to find it.

William
Michael in San Fran
Re: Are Fran and Erling's methods effective for anybody else?
November 19, 2003 03:47AM
My last episode of LAF was 10 1/2 months ago. Since then I have been taking magnesium (glycinate) supplements in divided doses at 600 to 800 mg per day. I do not use the paleo diet, but my diet is abundant in high-quality protein, fruits and vegetables and complex carbohydrates, mostly whole grains. I try to buy organic foods and to minimize processed foods and refined simple carbohydrates. I eat with considerable care if I am at a restaurant.

My intake of alcohol, coffee and tea, which are magnesium-depleting, is minimal.

I have had no intimation of LAF since my last episode nearly a year ago. Even my occasional experience of PACs has decreased so that on many days I am not at all aware of them.

If I am feeling stressed-out, I take a hard look at my stressors and do something about them.

I am 59 years old, in generally good health and exercise regularly by running, walking and lifting weights.
I know that Sadja who posts here from time to time reported great success with the elimination of MSG and all its hidden forms. The thread may still be on the old board.

If you are still reading Sadja how is it going

Fran
How long have people been on this health diet and supplements before they see any effects? I've been on it for about a year now and still haven't seen any dramatic improvement - if any. But I'm not going to stop because the alternatives are not very attractive.
Liz,
I have read that dietary changes and supplemental changes usually take 3 to 6 months to have any noticable changes, except in cases where one is severely deficient of a particular element. This is why people opt for the drugs most of the time. Although drugs have their own problems, oft times even greater.

Joe
Re: Are Fran and Erling's methods effective for anybody else?
November 19, 2003 12:05PM
Peggy - I definitely think with time, this type diet will work to cure afib. Fran can't take supplements and has done it with whole foods.
Erling has done it with diet and supplements.

I nearly did it but ran out of time and had the ablation anyway. I had been afib free for 2 months but couldn't get off the Flecanide... I do believe, though, that if I had another year on the increased magnesium dosage, I could have done it on my own. Insurance issues prompted me to do it while the opportunity was right. I'm not sorry for the ablation choice, but I'm sorry to have missed the chance to cure it myself since I got smart about magnesium too late.

It takes alot of effort and concentration to make sure all the nutrients are in the diet and especially to overcome the magnesium deficiency which seems to be prevalent in afibbers...stress being one of the major depleters of magnesium.

Hang in there Peggy - you will soon join that very elite group.

Jackie
I have been doing a mostly paleo diet for a few months now and taking supplements, including about 640 mg. of mag. glycinate each day. It's hard to tell if my afib has improved yet. Lately I seem to have fewer ectopics. My first afib episode was a month after major surgery (hysterectomy) so I know my hormones were all screwed up. Then the next was four months after that, and the last one two months after that. I am now coming up on two months since the last one and wondering if I will have another episode or not. I am not taking any medications.

I went to a naturopathic doctor who tested me and gave me some homeopathic and herbal remedies for gastric bloating and gas. They have helped a great deal, but I have now run out of the one major tincture and need to check with him again. I am convinced my afib is gastric in origin.

There are so many additives and chemicals in food that even without afib I would switch to an organic diet. I had the surgery because of uterine cancer, and I don't want to take any other chances with anything that could bring it back in other locations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login