Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coumadin Questions

Posted by Debbi 
Debbi
Coumadin Questions
November 18, 2003 03:48PM
Isn't 12 mg of Coumadin a lot? I was started on 7 mg and now down to 6. Went to 4 mg for a while but edging back up.

Also, does everyone take the brand Coumadin or it's generic?
jerry
Re: Coumadin Questions
November 18, 2003 04:58PM
Everyone reacts to coumadin with different dosages as there is no common formula for how much to give a person that will maintain them within the required inr range of 2.0-3.0. Do not mix Coumadin (brand name) and Warfarin (Generic name) as there have been cases where the dosages do not work the same between the brand and the generic of this drug-
jerry
Pam
November 18, 2003 11:18PM
Debbi:
I take 7.5 mg four days/week and 10 mg on the other three days. It's just what works for you. I would agree with Jerry, it affects us all a little differently. If it takes 12, it takes 12.
You might check to see if you are taking any supplement or multivitamin that has vitamin K in it.

Pam
njb
November 19, 2003 03:51AM
As you probably know, spinach and dark greens make you need more coumadin. I was once on 12 mg 3xwk and 10 the rest.

It's been a drag trying to keep my level even - I'm off & on so many different drugs and they do affect my level.

njb
Chris P
November 19, 2003 06:09AM
12mg daily is a lot but that's what it takes to keep my INR in range. the usual reaction I get when I tell medical people is 'How much??'.

I am not a big eater if greens so I can't point to that as the reason.

I guess its just the way I am.

In spite of this large dose, the adjustments made to alter the INR are still very small. If its low I am usually told to add about 0.5 or 1 mg for the next week (that's the total addition for the week, not per day).

Its a fickle thing!

Chris P.
Debbi
November 19, 2003 09:36AM
I know what you mean about being a "drag". It seems in the past 2 months I've been fluctuating wildly. I do not take supplements as I'm on enough medications as it is, and very rarely eat "greens".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login