Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sleep apnea and a-fib

Posted by Laura 
Laura
sleep apnea and a-fib
November 18, 2003 04:43AM
Don't know if this has been discussed here before, but a Mayo Clinic study published May 27, 2003 notes that AF is more than twice as likely to recur in people with untreated sleep apnea. The researchers speculate that the increase in obstructive sleep apnea may contribute to the "dramatic increase in the incidence of AF which has nearly tripled in the past three decades". If I remember correctly, there are some people on this forum who utilize CPAP.
Tom
Re: sleep apnea and a-fib
November 18, 2003 10:44AM
Yes, I utilize CPAP--and did so for a year before experiencing my first AF episode. Of course, I had sleep apnea before being treated, so it must certainly be considered a possible factor. Research tells us that apnea affects blood pressure, and untreated apnea is also a risk factor for heart disease and stroke--so it makes sense that it might contribute to AF-related problems.
Tom
Richard
November 18, 2003 10:53AM
I, too, had sleep apnea, but I'm not sure if I did prior to AFlutter diagnosis, but the possibility is there, as I was a very loud snorer. It went away when I changed my diet to modified Paleo, and lost 25#'s, but I do still snore a bit, however my wife says it's nothing compared to the gasping and snorting before.

Richard
Mike F. V42
November 18, 2003 09:15PM
Me too. I've occasionally over my adult life awoken GASPING for breath - most alarming it is too.

Mike F.
Frank
November 19, 2003 05:22AM
I too have mild sleep apnea, and Im having surgery in Jan. to have my tonsils out. I'm a little nervous about it as it will put me out for a couple of weeks and pretty painful also. My AF also has me also nervous as I hope I don't have an episode while under sedation. Hopefully the surgery will correct the snoring,my Dr. says its will 90% chance completely and definately a big improvement.

Frank
Dave
November 19, 2003 11:04PM
I can state as a fact that, for me at least, afib and apnea are linked. I'm not entirely convinced whether one causes the other or they share a common cause but in my case every time I have a night with lots of apneas I also have lots of afib and ectopics the following day. I treat my apnea with a dental appliance which is about 75% effective and MUCH easier to tolerate than cpap.

An interesting unintended finding from a study a few years ago discovered that patients who had a pacemaker installed suddenly stopped snoring and having apneas. My EP tells me he has noticed this anecdotally for years - wives of the pacemaker patient come in to thank him for also stopping his snoring. There is definitely a connection here.

Check this out:
[www.mercola.com]

There's lots more to be found about this. Search for pacemaker and apnea.
LWD
catheter ablation
January 11, 2004 02:13PM
I would appreciate information from anyone who has had a catheter ablation performed by the Cleveland Clinic Hospital in Cleveland Ohio for curing atrial fibrillation. Results would be most welcomed.
Lois Dunnam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login