Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lipitor question

Posted by Newman 
Newman
Lipitor question
November 15, 2003 03:43PM
Jim W., Jackie, Fred, Char, Others,

After my ablation, I was given a prescription for Lipitor. It was a prescription for a 30 day supply, and no refills were mentioned. I believe, though, that either Dr. Natale or "Dr. Lipitor" told me to take Lipitor for three months and then stop, although I can't remember for sure. I think Jim W. got the message to me that he assumed that he was to take Lipitor for only 30 days. I spoke with Minerva recently and she said I should take it for three months. I later called again, and Minerva once again confirmed that I should take it for three months. Now I have asked Jackie and she said she was going to take it for only 30 days. I just read that Fred is starting Lipitor, but he didn't say for how long. Since we all had ablations recently by the same EP, I think it is highly likely that we should all be taking Lipitor for the same length of time. If that is true, is it one month or is it three months? Any thoughts or information on this contradictory information?

Newman
Yypo
Re: Lipitor question
November 16, 2003 12:45AM
Also, I'm curious as to why Lipitor is prescribed post ablation. Anyone know?
Fred
November 16, 2003 02:53AM
Good question. Glad you asked. I don't recall how long I am supposed to take Lipitor. I think that anesthesia may fog one's ability to remember things in the first day or so. The prescription permits 3 refills. I will check with Salwah in a day or two, and she will let me know what I should do. For me, the important thing is to follow the post ablation procedures as closely as I can, and if I forget something, the answer is a telephone call away.
November 16, 2003 03:50AM
Newman etal.....

Initially, I was told the Lipitor would be used for the 3 months. I objected since 1) I hate statins and 2) I took them years ago and found I had profound muscle weakness that never truly resolved with time. Now the packet inserts and the PDR state they can cause muscle weakness among many other side effects.

I note that they cut my time from 3 months to 30 days after my notification to them about my sensitivity.

The purpose of using Lipitor is to lower cholesterol in the blood which they feel irritates the newly burned heart cells (myocardium).

Additionally, I asked the question since Dr. Natale prescribes Lipitor, and since Lipitor depletes Co Q10, do they also prescribe Q as a replenishing supplement......

The answer was...they do not tell patients to take or not take Q10. I'd call that a CYA answer if I ever heard one.

The bottom line is Lipitor is a dangerous drug. Anyone taking Lipitor or any statin should also take CoQ10 - at least 100 mg. a day if not more.

Because of the CoQ10 depletion, serious side effects can occur including a terrifying condition called transient global amnesia.

Several weeks ago, on this BB, Co Q10 depletion was discussed and Erling posted a good commentary. I gave the website of the NASA space doc who has written a book to warn the public about the use of statins - called 'LIPITOR THE THEIF OF MEMORY"
www.spacedoc.com

Anyway.... we are told to take the Lipitor to reduce inflammation. I will comply but for a shorter duration than originally stated.

I haven't found out yet, if they have a baseline cholesterol level for me, so that I know the dose will not deplete cholesterol too much. The body needs cholesterol. It is not the bad guy... but the inflammation factor should not be ignored during the healing process.

I've posted this previously, but one of the pharmaceuticals now has a patent on a statin that includes Q10 in the formula...probably at double the price. Have no idea when it will be released. So, they know the importance of replenishing Q10.

It would be a shame if this meant individuals can't buy Q10 over-the-counter.

So people, just be very aware of your symptoms. Muscle weakness or any cognitive impairment - get off the Lipitor and see your doctor immediately.

Check out the spacedoc web site.

Jackie
Richard
November 16, 2003 04:01AM
When the vessels loose their elasticity, and tiny cracks present themselves, the lipoproteins are there to seal the cracks. The body could percieve the burn, at the site of the ablation, in much the same way, therefore laying down repairs of lipoproteins to seal what it percieves as a crack or injury. You probably don't want the build-up of plaque at this site, not to say that Lipitor is good, because it isn't, but maybe it's necessary for the short term, because of this. Just my opinion.

Richard
Anton
November 16, 2003 05:39AM
A few months ago, I asked Michelle at CC if they still prescribed Lipitor for 3 months and she said yes. (10 mg/day)

I read an article on Lipitor discussing what a powerful anti-inflammatory it is and how this characteristic is overlooked. I think if you search on it you'll find the article. I'll look for it if you're unsuccessful.

I'm taking it for the 3 months after my flutter ablation to help with the healing/inflammation just. Along with it I'm taking Q10 (75mg/day). Short term Lipitor can help most people, long term useage is more in question.

Anton
Jim W.
November 16, 2003 06:47AM
Hi Newman & others,

Dr. "Lipitor" gave me a prescription(20mg) for 30 tablets with no refills so I just assumed I was only to take it for 30 days. I'll call tomorrow to find out what the story is.

Jim W.
njb
November 16, 2003 02:33PM
I was confused about how long I was suppossed to take the Lipitor. After reading some horror stories about the drug, I stopped after 2 months.

njb
Char
November 16, 2003 04:14PM
Jim W. and all,
I was also given a prescription for one month with no refills by, also, Dr. L. Have any of you noticed more ectopics the first few hours after taking it, or is this my imagination? I have what appears to be more skipped beats than after the first ablation....most of the time so far, but especially after a dose of Lipitor. Also, those of you who have had recent ablations, is your heart rate still at an increased rate or have some found that it is returning to pre-ablation rate. Curious to know how long it takes, but so happy to be in NSR. Char
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login