Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Headache

Posted by John S. 
John S.
Headache
November 15, 2003 09:56AM
This morning at 1:30 am I went into A-Fib but did not respond to 250 mg of propafenone. Over the course of the day I took 700 mg and returned to nsr at 4:30 pm. It was my first daytime episode in three months. Over the past two weeks or so I had been hitting the chocolate on an almost daily basis. It is the only so-called trigger that I have not avoided.

I tried to go about my business during the day, but it was difficult. About midday I got one horrendous headache. It was pretty much centered around the base of my skull. My eyes also hurt even when I wasn't wearing glasses or reading. In the past I have noticed pain in the same location or tension in the back of my neck.

Has anyone else found that headache goes along with A-Fib, especially long episoeds? What causes it?

John S.
JRBabb
Re: Headache
November 15, 2003 03:50PM
Got them everytime I went into AF, I think due to lack of oxygen, my brain cells were dying. But seriously, my wife who is a dietician, stated, it is more likely restricted blood vessels.

babb
Carol
November 16, 2003 12:18AM
Absolutely. I almost always get a headache (and stiff neck) at the base of the skull when I am in afib.

I wonder if it isn't another manifestation of Dr. John Sarno's "Tension Myositis Syndrome." In a nutshell: Tension tightens the muscles which then deprive the blood vessels and nerves of oxygen causing pain. Wonder if the same chain of events occurs with the BIG Muscle - the heart?

Chocolate is a known trigger for migraines and afib. Chocolate is rich in magnesium, so your craving for it may be an indication that your body is low in magnesium.

Carol
Howie
November 16, 2003 12:52AM
When I get pressure at the base of my skull around the back of my neck probably also from chocolate or too much of some dessert I find that drinking a lot of water or other fluids seems to flush it out. This rarely happens since I started running in place almost every day for about 5 to 10 minutes. Prior to starting the running routine, I could FEEL certain desserts in my bloodstream within about 1 minute of consuming them. I call it running but actually I barely left my feet, however this small amount of activity (while on Cartia by the way) keeps my blood pressure at very good levels quite often below 120/80.
November 16, 2003 04:02AM
Jackie here weighing in - no headaches.

Headaches are said to be result of a magnesium deficiency...as is muscle stiffness and tension....makes sense to me.
njb
November 16, 2003 02:48PM
I never got a headache over the past five years when I was aware I had flutter or afib. I did have fatigue, s.o.b., liteheadedness, etc.

But fortunately, it has always been unusual for me to get a headache.

njb
Pam
November 17, 2003 12:07AM
John:
I don't know that I, for myself, could connect the headache with the afib attack, but I have always been amazed at how many people suffer afib and migraines, and not necessarily at the same time. I have, on a few occasions had a migraine after an afib episode, but I don't think I have ever had them at the same time.
I would have to agree with Jackie on the Mg connection.
Pam
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login