Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Too soon for an ablation?

Posted by Michele in Pa 
Michele in Pa
Too soon for an ablation?
November 13, 2003 10:49AM
Hi everyone,

To apoligize first, I am been a lurker and haven't contributed very much although I do contribute to the polls. I hope to be more of a contributer in the future. I look forward to reading the posts and have learned so---------- much from everyone. Thank you all who talk the time to explain and support -- you really have touched all of us who struggle with this condition.

I am a female, 45, and have had afib for the past 20 years. First two episodes during surgery in my 20's, then for the past 4 years, an average of about 2 episodes a year. I have been electro converted 3 times. I have converted on rymthol on demand twice. This has not worked the last 2 times and had to be converted.

When I start out with an episode, it is terrible. Very fast - 180 - 200 bpm, feel very out of breath and just want to go to bed. I usually try to sleep in off - never has worked and then will go within 12 hours to the hospital to be converted.

I have tried atenonlol and propanonlol - didn't keep me from going into afib. Once I go to the hospital and they put me on a Cardiazem drip, I feel much better and get tolerate the afib - again Cardiazem never converts me, just helps with the rate. They usually keep me over nite (once they let me go home) and then convert me in the morning or at least before 48 hours. I take a 325mg aspirin everyday.

I live only 1 1/2 hours from Cleveland and have seen Dr. Natale in 2001. He suggested the rythmol on demand and said in the future I would need an ablation. I do have another visit with him scheduled for Dec 5.

Now my questions - Is it too early to consider an ablation? I realize I haven't really tried any anti-arrithymics full time (and I really don't want to be on drugs) but, I never know when I am going to be hit with this afib - the only trigger I can figure is every episode except one had started from bending over. One started during sleep. Is this vagal or adgeneric(sp?)?
I feel that these episodes come on after stress not during!

I figure I am young and healthy and I am already a patient of Dr. Natale's (lucky, huh!). I want to at least have a chance with the best Doctor and I don't want to be on drugs!!!!!

One more question - should I continue to be converted before 48 hours or should I just consider rate control and try to convert on my own?

Thanks in advance for all the support!!! You truly are special people!!!!

Michele
Richard
Re: Too soon for an ablation?
November 13, 2003 01:51PM
Michele,

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles, but am glad you posted. Have you been trying any of the supplements mentioned here, especially Mg. glycinate? Due to your low occurences of AF, it might serve you to at least try nutritional pathways first, if you haven't already. If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for your previous surgery?

Richard
Michele in Pa
November 13, 2003 10:02PM
Richard,

The two surgeries that I went into Afiib was not anything heart related - it was for female problems. I believe the medicine they use to give you before surgery to help dry up mucus (atropine?) was what triggered those two events for me.

Thanks for the reply, no I had just tried some extra vitamins with some magnesium, not sure it was the right kind. I felt it gave me more etopics when I took it so I quit.

Also, my episodes start with me bending over - is this a common trigger for afib? Thanks,

Michele
Carol
November 13, 2003 11:26PM
I am sorry to hear of your afib difficulties.

I am a vagal (nocturnal) afibber, but have had a problem with bending over during the day for years. Pressure in the mid- section makes me feel breathless, like I am going to pass out (like having the wind knocked out of you) and brings on that peculiar sensation under the rib cage that precedes afib. I usually can abort an afib attack by quickly standing up and resting. It has become difficult to garden, for instance, although I find that if I wait several hours after eating, bending over to garden isn't as much of a problem.

I am not a scientist, but think that the problem involves putting pressure on an already sensitive vagus nerve, perhaps where it connects with the diaphragm.

Try magnesium glycinate, KAL brand , without calcium added. It works wonders. I would give the entire supplement routine discussed on this board a try over a few months to see if you can't reverse your afib condition.

Good luck.

Carol
Chris H
November 13, 2003 11:46PM
Greetings Michelle

Please refer to Han's conference room proceedings there lies valuable info.
Link here to start with.
[www.afibbers.org]
Also using the search tool in the green bar at the top of the board you can find specific info on individual minerals,vitamins.
Take it easy
Chris H
Newman
November 14, 2003 05:04AM
Michele,

I'll address what I think is your main question, which asks if it is too early too get an ablation. You are the person who can answer that better than anyone else. Quality of life is often a very important factor in afibbers decision as to whether to have an ablation. Fear of going into afib, antiarrythmic drugs side effects, rate control drugs side effects, warfarin or aspirin side effects, increased risk of stroke, possible heart damage long term, feeling bad, having to give up alcohol and caffeine, possible future cardioversions, and the expenses of the above are all negatives that an a successful ablation is likely to put an end to. However, ablations are expensive and have a little bit of risk. Consequently, many people on this board are in the same situation as you are, and they continually weigh the pluses and the minuses of all of these factors vs. ablation. You can get help in your decision by reading this board and Hans' book, and getting a good medical evaluation and advice from the best EP. Your appointment with Doctor Natale should help. You don't have much afib compared to many people on this board who are still not getting ablations. The answer to your question is that you are the best person to make that decision. Certainly it is not too early for you to get an ablation if you decide that the negatives outweigh the positives, but only you can make that decision.

Good luck to you.

Newman
njb
November 14, 2003 11:32AM
Michelle in Pa -

When I saw Dr. Natale last March for my first consultation and wasn't real sure if I wanted ablation, he suggested I call and get my name on the waiting list. I heard he is now scheduling for July in Cleveland. Then about a month before your scheduled procedure, you can decide. He suggested that it would be fine to call and say you won't be ready for another 6 or 7 months. But you will be on the list in case you do decide. And you can keep postponing your decision as your turn comes up or go ahead and get it done. As he said "you will know when you are ready".

Good luck, njb
Michele in Pa
November 14, 2003 11:59PM
Thanks njb - I think I will do that - at least then I have a chance in case this afib thing gets worse!

Michele
JRBabb
November 16, 2003 03:24PM
Michelle, I had AF from 18 to 48 yoa. I had the abalation in Oct. and hesitated for a number of years. If I had to do it again to cure, I would, for me it got to be more than just a short problem and was affecting all parts of my life.

I will soon be eating all the foods I have missed over the last few years. I can now sleep on my left or right side with no fear of AF.

JRBabb
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login