Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

COQ10

Posted by RK 
RK
COQ10
November 13, 2003 02:56AM
Back after 2 weeks in Europe, mostly Austria. Had an episode after eating a pasta dinner (have had no pasta, and have eased off on bread for about 3 months) but stopped it with 2 propafenone in warm water, as suggest by Hans in his book. Thanks for the info!

I seem to be allergic to COQ10. Does any one else feel strange after taking it? I thought at first it was a food allergy, but have pretty well eliminated all possibilities. About an hour or two after taking COQ10 (not more than 60 mg) I feel dizzy & slightly disoriented, not bad enough to stop my activities, but enough to know something is not right. Does this supplement react with any others? I take a multi vitamin, vit. C, vit. D, vit. E, magnesium, 81mg. Aspirin, calcium (as per my Dr. for bones) and fish oils.

Any insight, help, advice would be welcome. RK
Jerry
Re: COQ10
November 13, 2003 07:21AM
First of all, I have to ask your age. Many younger people may not have a significant depletion of CoQ10 levels, and a dose of 60 mg could be a bit strong for you. Second, have you had your serum CoQ10 level checked prior to using that supplement? Most people don't bother, but it's always a good idea, so you can have a sense of your levels. If you're currently normal, you're giving yourself a powerful cellular kick with a daily dose. Consider checking it out.
Chris H
November 13, 2003 07:26PM
Greetings
I thought that within reason you couldn't OD on Co Q10 as basically it is naturally created within the body and is in every cell and part of the body( hence its other name ubiquinone ) , highest concentations are to be found in the heart. Rapid improvement of various conditions eg heart damage have been associated with Co Q10 at massive doses , I forget how much but a couple of hundred mg is quite small in comparison.Thus supplementation of say 60mg-150mg a day has a cumulative effect over many months and replenishes depleted amounts caused by age or perhaps ones individual body mechanisms failure to manufacture the stuff.
I take 120 mg a day with no problems although as is said many times everybody is different.
Could it be as Fran pointed out previously that there is something else in the capsule that you are reacting to .

Chris H
Jerry
November 13, 2003 11:39PM
I don't subscribe to the theory that says, since a substance occurs in the body, it will have no perceptibly negative effects when taken at certain doses. For some people, myself included, 60 mg of CoQ10 triggers an overly stimulating effect, which suggests that I am not depleted. If not depleted, I won't need supplemental levels of that substance in the same way as others might need them. As is known, the older a person is, the greater the likelihood of depletion.
RK
November 14, 2003 02:02AM
Thanks for the reply, everyone!

I am a 64-yr. woman, in good health except for the LAF, walk a lot and eat well (no fast or prepared foods). I'll ask about having my serum CoQ10 checked when I see my Dr. in December, in the meantime I'm not taking any more.

Thanks again, RK
Ella
November 14, 2003 04:44AM
I have tried CoQ10 on 2 seperate occations, it always gave me a lot of ectopics, like my body said "please no more" so I have given up on that.

Ella (66)
Jerry
November 14, 2003 05:36AM
I'd be interested to know how many of us have had a surge reaction of various kinds after taking CoQ10. I have no reason to doubt its capacity to help, and its importance to our cells, but I find that we are often too eager to ingest something that we believe will help us--even though we haven't had any kind of advance testing to determine if our particular levels are depleted.

If we have a full gas tank in our car, but we force fuel into the tank nonetheless, the obvious reaction is that the excess spills out, causing inconvenience. In the case of CoQ10, couldn't it be true that NOT EVERYONE is depleted, hence NOT EVERYONE will need a daily dose of this substance? I have never heard that someone's doctor recommended an advance serum screen for CoQ10 level before ingestion of a supplement regimen. It would be nice if they did so.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login