Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anti-coag vs anti-platelet and combined

Anti-coag vs anti-platelet and combined
November 22, 2020 02:42PM
This is a really tough tightrope as far as I can tell. With last weekend's covid scare, something needed (or would have been, had the situation got worse) would have been an anti-platelet.

From all I can tell, those on an anti-coag have a head wind of sorts with adding an anti-platelet to an existing anti-coagulant protocol. (bleeding risks) I've read a few articles and PubMed and can't see an easy way to do this.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge of how this could be done safely? Thanks.

[www.google.com]
Re: Anti-coag vs anti-platelet and combined
November 22, 2020 04:10PM
I'm not sure what you're asking. Combination anticoagulant/antiplatelet therapy isn't uncommon. It's usually reserved for people with high clotting risks but it's definitely done. Are you asking how to do it yourself? The easy answer is just continue taking your anticoagulant and add a daily low-dose aspirin, but you definitely increase your bleed risk by doing that, so I wouldn't recommend it unless your doc is involved.
November 22, 2020 04:24PM
Yes - essentially my question. How can one in need of taking an anti-platelet do so safely while on an anti-coagulant?

In the watchman thread you noted that it is has been done for 6 weeks after the procedure.

More than likely one would be in an ICU if they needed anti-platelet (later stage and more severe covid) but I am trying to learn what possibilities exist in case (and already) if ERs, ICUs, are full.

Do you recall the aspirin dose you took?
November 22, 2020 05:35PM
In 2018 following my ablation at UPMC I was placed on Elequis + Low dose aspirin 81mg. Didn't have any issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2020 05:36PM by rocketritch.
November 22, 2020 06:08PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Do you recall the aspirin dose you took?

81 mg. That's pretty much all you'll ever see for antiplatelet use, except in Europe where "baby aspirin" is 100 mg.

Speaking of Europe, on a trip to Italy a few years ago I learned not to ask for "baby aspirin." When I asked, the nice Italian lady's eyes got big and she had a look of horror on her face. I'm pretty sure she was about to deliver a scorching lecture on not giving aspirin to babies when she paused and said, "Oh, do you mean cardio aspirin?" So if you run out of aspirin on a trip to Europe, don't horrify the pharmacists by asking for baby aspirin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login