Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Vitamin D with K on Eliquis

Posted by Jake 
Vitamin D with K on Eliquis
November 20, 2020 12:16PM
Is taking VitaminD 125mcg with K complex 1100 mcg, ok while taking Eliquis? Don't you need K to delivery D? .I test very low on D..

Thank you!
Re: Vitamin D with K on Eliquis
November 20, 2020 12:23PM
[www.drugs.com]

Reports no interactions.
November 20, 2020 12:28PM
Jake
Is taking VitaminD 125mcg with K complex 1100 mcg, ok while taking Eliquis? Don't you need K to delivery D? .I test very low on D..

Thank you!
What vitamin k are you meaning? K1 or K2?
November 20, 2020 01:13PM
All K variants are OK with ELiquis. K (but not k2 mk4/7 etc) is an issue for warfarin.

[www.pennmedicine.org]

[www.uofmhealth.org]
November 20, 2020 03:11PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
All K variants are OK with ELiquis. K (but not k2 mk4/7 etc) is an issue for warfarin.

[www.pennmedicine.org]

[www.uofmhealth.org]

So what you mean is that vitamin K1 is an issue for warfarin.
They are very different. One thins the blood the other doesn't.
November 20, 2020 05:19PM
Vitamin K complex 9 ( as menaquinane-4)
November 20, 2020 08:03PM
Vitamin K in all its forms is utterly irrelevant to Eliquis and all the other DOACs (Xarelto, Pradaxa, etc). Take as much as you want (within reason, obviously).
November 20, 2020 08:40PM
Yes Colindo - bad use of parentheses on my part.
November 21, 2020 10:19AM
Thank you all so much....One more thing,
Is it correct that you should take K with Vitamin D for proper delivery?
November 21, 2020 11:15AM
Jake and all...

Vitamin K 1 (phylloquinone) is the form that can interfere with or influence the clotting factor.

The other forms... Vitamin K2 MK4 and MK7 are those that help prevent soft-tissue calcifications or accumulations of circulating calcium such as atherosclerosis. The MK4 is short acting... and the MK7 is longer acting and therefore most effective. These do not typically have influence or interference with the clotting mechanism when on the NOACs.

The Vitamin K PhD Researchers Cees Vermeer and Leon Schurgers University of Maastricht, Netherlands... is widely published online in papers and discussions of a resultant nutritional product MenaQ 7... so you can study that and then choose an appropriate Vitamin K product for your needs.

Typically a product that includes a mix of K1 and the MK4 and MK7 will be quite low in K1 but it's best to choose one without any K1 if you are on a prescription anticoagulant.

MK7 is important to include when you take Vitamin D and also to help ensure overall vascular elasticity.

[menaq7.com]

[www.oatext.com]

If you search posts here there are numerous discussions on MK7 as well.

Jackie
November 21, 2020 11:45AM
I've spent some time on Mk7 and Mk4 and from what i can tell only Mk7 appears in plasma while MK4 does not. Among the studies I've seen bioavailability of Mk7 is greatest with EVOO. A mixed study of dairy fat and seed oil (god forbid) did not give as good results. Based on the science we have now - focus on Mk7 and EVOO - BID if you have CAC over 400.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

PS - despite aged gouda's rep for MK7 - French Munster is supperior - but nothing beats natto.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Best way to take Mk7 is KonK (more economical than natto)
November 21, 2020 11:48AM
Jackie
it's best to choose one without any K1 if you are on a prescription anticoagulant.

If that anticoagulant isn't warfarin, why would it matter? Vitamin K simply isn't involved in the pathway the DOACs act on.
November 21, 2020 01:43PM
Jake,

There's several interesting discussions of the relation of K and D in past topics on this forum, such as this one.

One important idea is that, if you're taking more than modest doses of D, you need K (esp., as Jackie says, MK7), to prevent calicification, i.e., to keep calcium out of the heart and arteries and in the bones.

But, according to Consumer Labs, it's better to take K and D separately 'cause some studies show that D interferes with absorption of K.

Best, Lance
November 21, 2020 01:52PM
Lance is right - I take my KonK at 8 am and pm and take my D and other vitamins at 2 PM.

Pat Theut and Kate Rheume Bleu are the experts on K - neither producing new info lately though.
November 21, 2020 04:35PM
thank you Lance, very helpful.
November 21, 2020 05:27PM
For the hell of it - I went to CL and saw they posted a covid update for K - undercarboxolated matrix gla protein (dp ucMGP) levels are significantly higher in covid patients with bad outcomes. Only association at this time.

Direct labs used to sell a ucOC (osteocalcin) lab but I don't see it there any more.

It takes a long time - maybe a year or more to bring undercarboxolation under 1.0

K might be helpful but D definitely is and calcifediol is even better in acute situations.

calcifediol by Marky, on Flickr
November 21, 2020 06:41PM
Carey - I recall reading somewhere that the better brands of with the MK7 don't add in the other forms (I guess) just to keep it simplistic... You're probably correct... unless on warfarin, it probably doesn't matter.
Jackie
November 29, 2020 04:04PM
Carey

it's best to choose one without any K1 if you are on a prescription anticoagulant.

If that anticoagulant isn't warfarin, why would it matter? Vitamin K simply isn't involved in the pathway the DOACs act on.

I take K-7 Vitamin K2 and Ubiquinol with warfarin and have no problem maintaining therapeutic range INR. Eat and take what you want, as long as you test.

(I also eat lots of leafy greens)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2020 04:29PM by jpeters.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login