Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drinking alcohol

Posted by Will1789 
Drinking alcohol
November 06, 2020 05:29PM
I know this isn’t good for afib. But wondering how much and how often you people drink? And also are any particular types of alcohol easier on the Afib.
Re: Drinking alcohol
November 06, 2020 06:12PM
Will1789
I know this isn’t good for afib. But wondering how much and how often you people drink? And also are any particular types of alcohol easier on the Afib.

I have not had more than a couple glasses of wine or glasses of beer at a sitting since I came down with afib 16 years ago. It has never been a trigger for me. As it disrupts my sleep, I drink near zero at this point.

From observing here for all these years, I'd say it is highly individual, though getting hammered probably doesn't work well for anyone. Some can have a drink or two without issue, others, any alcohol can be a trigger.
November 06, 2020 06:31PM
I agree with George; it's very individual.

Before my (successful) ablation, it was my custom to have a drink or two per evening of beer or wine, sometimes three or more at social events. So I did an experiment and gave up alcohol completely for a month. It made absolutely zero difference. I had the same number, same intensity, and same duration of episodes. But I know of others who say a single drink will set them off.

I doubt if the type of alcohol matters much, though it's obviously easier to drink more if you're drinking hard liquor. And if wine seems to be more of a culprit for you than beer or liquor, then it's possible the real culprit is the sulfites rather than the alcohol, especially in white wine since it has more.

So I would do experiments and see if and how much it affects you. If it seems like you have more episodes following alcohol, try abstaining for a month like I did and see if it actually is the culprit. Just noticing a correlation or two doesn't really tell you anything. You need to see a consistent pattern.
November 06, 2020 08:38PM
I'll have a sip of whatever my wife is drinking occasionally. So that's about a sip a year if I'm lucky.

In the past I have had a beer with no affect. Other times more than that has caused issues.

Knowing that alcohol can be a trigger is enough for me to basically steer clear of it.
November 07, 2020 05:36AM
Never been a trigger for me unless in EXCESS. MSG on the other hand...... guaranteed.
November 07, 2020 09:14AM
It would be nice if brandy helped with AF. I like to take a few drams now and then. I buy the good stuff and a bottle will last me a decade or more.
November 07, 2020 11:10AM
Alcohol (moderate) does not trigger afib for me... if I have enough time to get rid of it before the night. A glass of beer or wine with my midday meal or in the afternoon does nothing. Drinking it in the evening has bad effects in the night.
Alcohol is, for me, only one of the things increasing the risk of having afib. As such, I'm used to avoid it.
It's much more hard avoiding fresh bread, stress, great tiredness or too much exercise.
November 07, 2020 12:35PM
This is a great question. On average I typically have one drink per day, usually beer sometimes gin. Some days more some days not at all. I don’t think that it triggers my afib. When I first started dealing with afib I was probably having two to three drinks per day. It’s hard to say if I have less episodes now because I have been retired for a year and a half, started using a CPAP, began supplementing with Magnesium or because I drink less than I did. There are too many variables to know for sure but I think the less amount of alcohol doesn’t hurt overall health for me.
November 07, 2020 01:40PM
As I have reported previously, my first AF event was most likely triggered by 1) dehydration and then 2) alcohol consumption...without proper hydration. Hot day, 18 holes of golf (walking), cocktails/dinner afterward. (plus I learned later on, I was very low in IC Mg according to ExaTest).

I stopped alcohol consumption entirely. No big deal. That was 25 years ago. In the last 10 years, I have occasionally consumed a measured 2 oz of wine with a special meal with no negative heart effects. To me, it's just not worth the risk.

Jackie
November 08, 2020 08:24PM
I drink 3 ounces of 92 proof Bulliet on the rocks everyday around. 7 PM. Never has been a trigger for me. I will say I drink what I consider Top Shelf. Cheap bourbon/whiskey is not a trigger but smoothness and taste matters. I enjoy my alcohol in moderation. I have a nice collection of Bourbon Glasses.
Ken
November 09, 2020 09:09AM
Prior to my first ablation, two drinks (beer or wine) seemed to be a trigger. Never one drink. After my first and second ablations, one or two drinks never kicked in afib. Since my first ablation 14 years ago, I drink about 4 oz. of red wine every evening. Occasionally I will have beer instead, or two/three glasses of wine with friends, but never a problem with afib.
November 10, 2020 12:10PM
Hello Will,

Alcohol is not a trigger for me...too much alcohol is. I am more of a binge drinker...wine or beer, occasional old fashioned. If I overindulge, I must stay hydrated, or the ectopics come on...and sometimes the afib. I have had 6 afib episodes (3 14 years ago and 3 in the last 23 months)...nearly all happended 1-3 days after a big night where my hydration was out of whack and I was exhausted.

Based on info learned here, I drink/eat high Mg/K foods and usually have an 8-10 oz glass of Low Sodium V8 after I drink...this works for me.
November 11, 2020 09:27AM
I no longer drink...but I think it's pretty clear that alcohol is not good for afib, especially in excess. I believe there is a delay effect also....as while drinking I never had any problems, it was the day after that was a problem.

Red wine is particularly disruptive, as the preservatives are irritants.
November 11, 2020 09:11PM
It doesn’t do a darned thing to me. I could chug a 12-pack and the only side effect is experienced by that porcelain thing off the hallway.

That being said, it could send someone else to the ER. It’s highly individual. Experiment (carefully). Just “not getting AF” is hardly a good reason to embrace a hard-drinking lifestyle.
January 09, 2021 05:18PM
Alcohol is always my trigger.
Every episode I’ve had is caused by binge drinking I think
But I drank loads over Xmas and New Year and was fine. It’s pot luck
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login