Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bone hormone could provide new treatment for heart rhythm disorder

Posted by scribbler 
Bone hormone could provide new treatment for heart rhythm disorder
November 04, 2020 01:30PM
"Further experiments showed that mice which were unable to produce calcitonin in their hearts developed 2.5 times more atrial scar tissue, compared to mice with normal levels of calcitonin. They also developed AF at a younger age and had approximately 16 times longer episodes of AF. Strikingly, atrial scarring and AF were completely prevented in mice whose hearts produced greater amounts of calcitonin."

[www.bhf.org.uk]

“These discoveries could be game-changing for the management of AF. Developing a new treatment to prevent or reverse atrial scarring could provide a lifeline to many people at risk of or living with AF.”
Re: Bone hormone could provide new treatment for heart rhythm disorder
November 04, 2020 02:30PM
Interesting. If that pans out in humans it could potentially be big, but it sounds like it would be more of a preventative than a treatment.
November 04, 2020 04:21PM
Carey,
Well, Professor Metin Avkiran did say "prevent or reverse atrial scarring". smiling smiley
November 04, 2020 05:02PM
If it can reverse atrial scars, I wonder if it could possibly reverse an ablation.
November 04, 2020 05:52PM
November 04, 2020 05:59PM
Since calcitonin regulates Ca+, wonder if that is the reason Mg++ ("nature's calcium channel blocker") works for me?
November 05, 2020 01:26AM
Hello George,
How much magnesium are you still taking?
and did you notice any side effects?

Regads,

Ben
November 05, 2020 08:55AM
ben saif
Hello George,
How much magnesium are you still taking?
and did you notice any side effects?

Hi Ben,

Right now, I'm taking 1 tablespoon of di-magnesium malate per day. I weighed it and it is 19 g and 20% in magnesium, so 3.6g elemental magnesium ( for smaller quantities, I weighed 1/2 level tsp and it was 2.57 g. So 20%x 2.57 = 514 mg of magnesium). It is made by Albion and sold by an equine supplier.. I had a long chat with the proprietress about the product in 2010 when I first started purchasing it from her in 2010 . A person here recently said they tried to sell them a different product when they told them it was for human rather than equine use. This being said, I've successfully used about every form of magnesium: oxide, citrate, bicarbonate, acetate, malate and more as I posted here. I just need to take it. I have a very unusually high bowel tolerance that has increased over the last 16 years and I've never figured out why. In any case, the 3.6 g I'm taking right now is not at bowel tolerance and I have no side effects. I don't recommend that people try to match my intake. My son-in-law told me he has been able to take more when he added it to his potassium citrate drink (2 tsp/ 4 g elemental potassium powder in a liter of water consumed over the day). He takes around 600 mg of magnesium/day. I do have quite a few non-afibber friends who take multigram doses of magnesium a day, so multigram doses are not unheard of.

George
November 05, 2020 12:01PM
Vitamin K2 in Natto regulates calcium. I wonder if there is a link?
November 05, 2020 01:13PM
Hi Colin - in posts on the topic of taking vitamin D and then balancing out the 'liberated/circulating' calcium that comes with that and by using the K2 MK7 form, it's noted that serum calcium is directed to bones where it belongs.... so expanding on that action with regard to the competition between Ca and Mg... the magnesium would not have that interference and works as intended inside cells, including heart cells.

I've found that to be true as I've mentioned in other posts when I learned my intracellular levels of of Mg were low and that Ca was elevated... so, after stopping the calcium supplements recommended by my Primary Care MD at the time (long ago) and focusing on much higher dosing of magnesium, I went from frequent AF to very few events after a couple months of ramping up magnesium and stopping the Ca supplements.

The two PhD researchers of menaquinone as MK7 - Drs. Schurgers and Vermeer (University of Maastricht/Netherlands) have published articles and studies showing the benefits of menaquinone MK7 (the longer lasting form) and I believe they were instrumental in marketing a product called MenaQ7... which has been mentioned in previous posts on the MK7 topic. So, eating the natto food would have the same effect... assuming the K content in natto is consistent. It obviously has worked well for Dean... and for you.

Jackie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login