Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How many readers here have a pacemaker since multiple ablation?

Posted by susan.d 
How many readers here have a pacemaker since multiple ablation?
September 10, 2020 12:33AM
I would like a poll if anyone experienced AJR post ablation and how long did it take for them to resolve...and more importantly if they ended up with a pacemaker?

[www.texasheart.org]

Long-term clinical outcomes of catheter ablation in patients with atrial fibrillation predisposing to tachycardia-bradycardia syndrome: a long pause predicts implantation of a permanent pacemaker
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Predictors of Sick Sinus Syndrome in Patients after Successful Radiofrequency Catheter Ablation of Atrial Flutter
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 12:13AM by susan.d.
Re: How many readers here have a pacemaker since multiple ablations?
September 13, 2020 12:15AM
Nobody here has a pacer? If so how many ablations did they have prior to their SSS (sick sinus syndrome) developed?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 12:22AM by susan.d.
Re: How many readers here have a pacemaker since multiple ablation?
September 13, 2020 12:57AM
Why would you expect multiple ablations to lead to needing a pacemaker? That's not what those articles say. I have no doubt there are people here with pacemakers (everyone here knows at least one such person) but to my knowledge none are due to ablations. Needing a pacemaker due to ablation isn't something that happens unless we're talking about AV node ablations, in which case you go into the procedure knowing full well you're going to come out of it with a pacemaker because that's the whole idea.

Ablations have no effect on the AV node or the sinus node, so there's no reason why ablations would lead to SSS or junctional rhythms.
September 13, 2020 01:36AM
My local EP told me repeated ablations increases the possibility of getting SSS. He graduated first in his class. So without dismissing his opinion entirely, I decided on a poll asking if anyone developed SSS post ablation. Simple poll. Yes or no if readers were SSS free prior to their ablation(s) but developed SSS within a year post ablation.

My ekg last week showed accelerated junctional rhythm. First time ever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 01:55AM by susan.d.
September 13, 2020 02:56AM
It is not my intention to scare anyone with false info. I would just like a poll if anyone had sss uncovered after their flutter was resolved and how many had to get a pacemaker? If you read the last link, you could understand why I am curious:

INTRODUCTION

Atrial flutter (AFL) is the second most common atrial tachyarrhythmia after atrial fibrillation. Catheter ablation for typical AFL has been well established and ensures a high success rate and adequate safety.1 However, sick sinus syndrome (SSS) is occasionally uncovered when long-term, persistent AFL is terminated by ablation.2,3 Permanent pacemaker implantation is necessary in these cases. Sinus node function cannot be assessed during AFL, and preoperative prediction of underlying SSS has not yet been investigated. Currently, there is limited data on this issue.

The purpose of this study is to investigate the predictors of SSS before AFL ablation in patients with persistent AFL.
September 13, 2020 11:36AM
Uncovering SSS after termination of AFL by ablation is quite a bit different than ablation causing SSS.

AF and AFL ablations do not cause SSS. I think you misunderstood what your local EP said.
September 13, 2020 11:42AM
Can we move on and perhaps you good folks can post to my poll? I am curious to get feedback experience replies since my recent AJR ekg.

First sentence to my first post on this thread was :
I would like a poll if anyone experienced AJR post ablation and how long did it take for them to resolve...and more importantly if they ended up with a pacemaker?

Anyone?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2020 12:39PM by susan.d.
September 13, 2020 02:12PM
Susan - 25 years ago, Afib entered my life at the age of 59. I've had 3 Natale ablations.

1995 - first AF event
2003 - First Ablation
2014 - Second Ablation for A-flutter and LAA isolation
2015 - Third/Touch-up 7 mos later.

2020 - No heart issues of which I am aware. Last Spring, I was having some strange 'dizzy' sensations and when I saw the local EP for the Eliquis Rx refills, I described the symptoms and he had me wear a Kardia unit for 2 weeks. There was nothing indicated on the results to connect to my symptoms. I'll verify again with him in a couple weeks.

I continue to use the essential minerals and other nutritional supplements to help support overall healthy function during the aging process and am tested periodically to see if I am staying in the ranges work for me.

Jackie
September 13, 2020 03:12PM
Thank you Jackie for posting. I’m feeling better from the ablation. I am currently in nsr but if I bend over or swat to pick something up from the ground I go into temporary tachy-last 167. Short lived and once I stood up it returned slowly to 67. I also have what Carey experienced once-nerve pain shooting down from one of the plugs. I’m actually limping from the pain. I don’t believe in pain meds so I’m going to suck it up. Small price for nsr.

I hope others post to my poll and answer my simple question.
September 13, 2020 03:59PM
Susan:

IN my 20 years of having AF, I always converted back into NSR until Nov. of 2019 and am now in permanent AF. Anyway, when I first started getting AF the MD I went to had me take a Beta Blocker (Atenololwinking smiley the drug made me very tried, felt lousy. Then one time when having an episode of AF and when going back into NSR I almost blacked out, this happened a couple of times and it was caught when I was in my doctors office, diagnosed as SSS, I consulted an EP and I had a pace maker inplanted. The blacking out when going back into NSR stopped. One time I was in my EPs office and saw on my chart that he had written that the Beta Blocker that I was taking caused my SSS. I never had a real fast heartbeat when in AF and that doctor did me harm by prescribing a beta blocker. I have no problems with my Pacer, I do everything I have ever done.
September 13, 2020 04:43PM
Thanks liz
October 20, 2020 10:26PM
Hi Susan,
I'm also interested in this topic.
I'm currently 66 and I had 2 Natale ablations, last with isolated LAA 5 years ago. For 5 years since I was AF free until this past July when I started having a few episodes.
I'm still not to the bottom of things, but my local cardiologist also mentioned SSS and possible need for a pacemaker.
This week I had a nuclear stress and next week an echo locally. I then will consult with my usual EP at Vanderbilt and will also try to get input from Dr. Natale to see if there is any consensus on next steps.
Shannon mentioned to me that Natale says that 40% of isolated LAA will need an additional touch up.
So, I'm not sure what the future holds- another ablation touch up and Watchman; or pacemaker, or ???
The last few days my afib, or some arrhythmia, is more frequent- close to persistent
Propafenone seemed to work for a few weeks, now starting Multaq tomorrow.
It seems I'm starting the whole journey over again.
Ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login