Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

post ablation - exercise capacity

post ablation - exercise capacity
September 09, 2020 06:56PM
Almost 2 weeks since ablation and I am still feeling remarkably weak. Hoping some others can provide some guidance and help me set expectations. Is the weakness from the ablation itself, the extended hospital stay, the meds I am on (met-suc, flecainide and eliquis, being in atrial flutter or all of the above? Thanks.
Re: post ablation - exercise capacity
September 09, 2020 07:37PM
Add the ecv’s. That always knocked me out for a few weeks if the joules were high.
September 09, 2020 08:28PM
My bet would be the metoprolol. Metoprolol (all beta blockers, actually) completely suck the life right out of me. It does that to many people. It feels like someone tied weights to my arms and legs. Simply walking up a flight of stairs becomes a chore. And the flutter won't help, of course.

I would tell you to try skipping a dose to see if that's the cause, but since you're on flecainide you shouldn't do that. What dose are you on? Maybe talk to the NP tomorrow and see if you can reduce the dose.
September 09, 2020 08:53PM
Did your np ever suggested to you to switch your BB?? Tenormin never wore me out since 1989 as an example. There must be other drugs as well better suited for you. Perhaps ask your np her advice for a different BB.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Just saw this

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2020 01:05AM by susan.d.
September 10, 2020 02:16AM
After my first procedure (PVI), I was fine when I left the hospital (I had had an afib nightly episode, but self converted a few hours later), except for a strong headache caused by the drugs used for my GA.
The following days were really bad. It took me about one month to recover and to get rid from most of my thousands of ectopics.
It's highly individual, but my heart seems to heal slowly.
September 10, 2020 05:50AM
Probably the metoprolol causing your sluggishness. I was in flutter for over a week leading up to my first ablation (2009). I was really amped up the entire time. I was allot younger then though.
September 10, 2020 08:40AM
Ditto on the betas. I gained over 15 lbs on the met despite exercising daily. You just can’t get your heart rate up and burn any calories. It feels like you’re trying to move your body like you used to but everything is going in slow motion. It was really frustrating to say the least.
September 10, 2020 09:56AM
Time also seems to be in slow motion. I can't believe how long the days seem right now. Used to be 3:00 PM would come right up - now expecting the same - I look at the clock and it's 10 AM.
Ken
September 10, 2020 04:04PM
One day after both my ablations, I felt 100% normal. I did wait one month after the first to exercise and two weeks after the second. The most noticeable problem for me with exercise post ablation is that I reach my anaerobic threshold (out of breath) much quicker than before the ablation. Also, my maximum heart rate only 120-125. The good news is that this continually gets better as the months progress and takes about a year to get back to what may be considered normal.
September 11, 2020 06:12AM
How big a dose are you guys taking for beta blockers? Do they affect some people more than others? I am on 50mg of metropolol a day and don’t feel any affects of it and can exercise just fine. Do fall asleep easily tho like in boring meetings at work
September 11, 2020 09:39AM
I am taking 25 mg met-suc bid. There was a period where I tried 25mg qid but like Carey mentioned HR didn't budge. When I switched from multaq to flec - HR dropped from 150 to 115.

I am going to ride bike again today with goal of seeing hr move around - last ride it was pegged at 123 like I had a pacemaker.

Susan tells me my heart's been BBQ'd - I think she's right.
September 11, 2020 11:01AM
Good luck NLAMA. I would highly recommend you getting your np permission beforehand before biking. You have an unusual recovery, not like everyone else who bikes and exercises after a week or two. Find out if it’s too soon since you had problems you pm me that others who bike soon afterwards didn’t incur. Good luck with your ecv today.
September 11, 2020 11:15AM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I am going to ride bike again today with goal of seeing hr move around - last ride it was pegged at 123 like I had a pacemaker.

Being pegged like that is really just the meds capping your heart rate. It's like putting a governor on a car; no matter how hard you push on the gas it's just not going to go faster. Flec + metoprolol used to cap me at 105. No matter how much effort I expended, I couldn't get my HR over 105. Boy, talk about limiting. I absolutely hated that stuff.

Instead of worrying about your heart being BBQ'd and asking the NP for permission to ride a bike, how about telling her how much you hate the meds and seeing if they can be changed or adjusted? You're not an invalid and this will get better.
September 11, 2020 11:26AM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Susan tells me my heart's been BBQ'd - I think she's right.

Credit due to Shannon‘s fine advice.

Shannon
It's very common in any event and is simply due to the reality that you just had a branding iron tattooing very thin lesions in very specific targeted places inside your left and right atria for a few hours.
September 11, 2020 11:36AM
These drugs affect everyone differently. As does the ablation. Fitness, age, etc etc all have a roll.

Right now I'm taking 25mg metoptolol and 5mg elequis bid. It is affecting my max heart rate but I've placed a self imposed governor on how high I want my heart rate to go for now and have been holding to it.

I remember back following my first ablation in 2009 the reactive nature of my heart to exercise was completely different. Instead of jumping up quickly it rose slowly. But I could still drive it up to where I needed it to be.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login