Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

When did flecainide stop working for you?

Posted by Will1789 
When did flecainide stop working for you?
August 31, 2020 11:10PM
I’ve had afib for about 2 years now been on a daily dose of flec and beta blocker ever since. I have been reading that flecainide eventually stops working and then you need an ablation. Just thought I’d get some views here from people about how long it took for them before it stopped working? And whether there is anything that can be done to keep it working longer? (Aside from good diet magnesium and exercise of course)

Really not looking forward to the Day it stops working

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2020 11:11PM by Will1789.
Re: When did flecainide stop working for you?
August 31, 2020 11:40PM
14 years successful (maybe every 4-5 years I would get af) until I started once a year and then monthly at 16 years until it stopped working.
September 01, 2020 12:26AM
Thanks Susan. How old are you now? I am only 29 at the moment so was hoping I could stay symptom free until at least retirement age but guess that’s wishful thinking.
September 01, 2020 01:32AM
About three months (after my first ablation). Its best effect during those three months was calming down my ectopics.
September 01, 2020 12:21PM
Will1789
And whether there is anything that can be done to keep it working longer? (

In this thread, I suggested to Jack that he might want to find the minimum effective dose of flecainide. To do this means you must accept the risk of having an afib episode. The hypothesis is that the lower the dose you take, the less likely it would lose efficacy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2020 09:51PM by GeorgeN.
September 01, 2020 12:55PM
I was 29 when I started Flec worked quite well for 7 years then started getting spotty results for last 3 years. Decided to give ablation (june) a go, so far so good (knock on wood). Now 40 years old.

I was hoping flec would work until done raising my kids but writing on wall was it was starting to lose effectiveness.

Will1789
Thanks Susan. How old are you now? I am only 29 at the moment so was hoping I could stay symptom free until at least retirement age but guess that’s wishful thinking.
September 01, 2020 05:42PM
Thanks George. They put me on a 200mg dose straight away which is very high. I will ask the cardiologist at my next appointment. Driver what size dose did they put you on?
September 01, 2020 05:58PM
I've used flecanide for a couple years as a PIP. I started using it this way about 8 years after my first ablation. After 2 years my affib progressed to a point flecanide would no longer convert me nor keep me in rhythm. Had second ablation and was kept on Flecanide for the first couple of months before it failed to keep me in rhythm.

I was then placed on Ticosyn. I had mixed results with that. It did appeared to work better the longer I was on it,

I have had another ablation since and still have an occasional hiccup and the flecanide works fine for converting me if I don't on my own
September 01, 2020 06:21PM
100 mg 2x daily.
September 01, 2020 10:57PM
Have been on flec. for about 31/2 years. 2 episodes since. Self converted once with a few extra doses of flec. added to my regimen and once via ECV as the added flec was not helpful. Currently 50x3. Not sure this is applicable but if you are lucky enough to know what some of your aFib triggers are and can avoid them, if possible, then maybe that would help any medication to have a longer shelf life protecting you against those episodes which you cannot put a finger on. Not sure if that makes any sense or if it’s even a valid thought.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login