Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

afib/lisinopril/atrial regurgitation

Posted by Mark 
afib/lisinopril/atrial regurgitation
August 29, 2020 07:42PM
Have read older posts from members who are taking 'lisinopril." However, most seem to be taking it for high blood pressure. Cardiac Doc suggesting that I take it for a condition called "atrial regurgitation (AR)" or atrial insufficiency." A valve replacement may be down the road. Have read some online literature suggesting lisinopril can be related to heart arrhythmias or afib of which I am a card carrying member. I am wondering if any members have AR and have been prescribed lisinopril specifically for AR. I am wondering how this all relates to afib in general, ablations, etc. My last BP measurement at the Doc was 104/60 and I have always been on the low end. Wonder how that will effect my blood pressure combined with the flecalnide I take which also has lowered my pulse rate (40/50's) from an historically lower level in the 60's. Just trying to get used to the idea of another heart related "diagnosis" and wrap my head around what this means to afib and my health status in general. Will talk to my EP about this in about 6 weeks but this forum is always a great help in formulating questions. Thanks.
Re: afib/lisinopril/atrial regurgitation
August 29, 2020 11:22PM
Do you have any recent studies that claim lisinopril can trigger AFib?

I’m on a higher dose now of lisinopril because afib/flutter is raising my BP. I need frequent potassium blood work because lisinopril increases one Potassium levels. I guess I have to stop my low sodium V8 and a daily banana if it gets high. I couldn’t find any current studies or data on Afib from lisinopril. However I found the opposite in a very old 1995 study. Kindly share if you have anything newer. Thanks
[pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
August 30, 2020 03:44PM
No, have not not found any studies though I have looked. I was basing my post on the general readings that lisinopril can be related to hyperkalemia (high possum) and hyperkalemia can be related to cardiac arrhythmias. In my post I guess I was extending the "arrhythmias" to include afib. Maybe shouldn't have done that. Obviously, the high potasssium concern is something you're very aware of. I read your link and it was quite interesting I also read many of the reverenced studies regarding afib/heart failure. Helpful and encouraging though I wish I didn't need to read them."

I also found an article related to ARBs inhibitors (similar to ACE inhibitors) being helpful for some AFIB. I may have to post that in a follow-up post as I'm having trouble inserting it into this one. Not real tech savvy.

Susan, from your post it's apparent that you're taking the lisinopril for BP and not any heart failure issues. Good for you!!!

Stay safe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2020 03:59PM by walt.
August 30, 2020 04:01PM
Here's the article mentioned above. While presenting a mixed message it does hold out hope that some ARB's are helpful with respect to some afib. Have to scroll down a bit to find the Atrial Fribrillation section.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Stay safe.
August 30, 2020 04:26PM
Thank you Walt for your good wishes. You stay safe too!

I get a potassium test every 3 months when I was on 5mg dose. For the past two days my BP was repeatly in the 150s/90s due to me wearing off of Tenormin and stopping Multaq for my upcoming ablation. The on and off af and flutter is raising my pressure and make me dizzy. Pre first ablation I was on 2.5mg lisinopril, 12.5mg water pill plus Norvasc plus 50mg Tenormin plus another strong time release nitro capsule per day JUST to control my BP. I’m only on lisinopril now. I can’t start new drugs this close to my ablation so I’m temporarily increasing my lisinopril until I call on Monday and I stopped eating foods high in K. I’ll get blood work this week. In the past my K was always average range with lisinopril.
August 31, 2020 12:20AM
Susan, You have so much on your plate right now so thanks for the chat(s). Look forward to hearing from you after things are resolved. Best of luck.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login