Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Quinoa and problems with lowering magnesium absorption

Posted by susan.d 
Quinoa and problems with lowering magnesium absorption
July 01, 2020 11:34PM
I started eating quinoa lately. I saw a quinoa recipe video for pita bread (I'm gluten free) that warned it could be problematic with lowering magnesium absorption.

“Quinoa is very high in all 4 minerals, particularly magnesium, with one cup (185 grams) providing about 30% of the RDA. The problem is that it also contains a substance called phytic acid, which can bind these minerals and reduce their absorption (23).Jun 28, 2018”

I have had two ECV and afib since my ablation within the past 6 weeks. The only thing different I just realized today after watching the video was that I eat quinoa (1/4 cup dry before cooking= 1 cup prepared) a few times a week. I don’t overdo it because I’m so scared on getting Af again that I watch my carbs.

I don’t recall phytic acid and lower magnesium absorption being discussed.

Thoughts?
Re: Quinoa and problems with lowering magnesium absorption
July 01, 2020 11:42PM
Don’t know about minerals, but our doc, Gundry suggests it be pressure cooked if you eat it, because of lectins.
July 02, 2020 12:04AM
The video says to soak overnight to rid some of the phytic acid. Thanks for the pressure cooker tip George. I never heard of quinoa lowering magnesium mentioned here before. Lots on magnesium though...

I won’t get the Exa test yet to check my magnesium because my doctor’s office is crowded and I am trying to avoid contact with covid19. However UCLA oncology at a remote tiny office in the mountains has perfect covid19 practices —extremely anal to protect their patients, so I made an appointment and went in today to test my magnesium. Unfortunately they won’t do an EXA test but they drew blood for a regular magnesium and potassium test. Can’t hurt. I can compare it to times in the past at the ER since they use the same test. Apples to apples comparison. I can see if today’s test levels is higher or lower than when I am in AF.

I start getting tachy 30 minutes ago. I took magnesium and will stop quinoa for a while. Maybe it’s cassava flour I’ve been eating daily.

Pressure cooker George? Isn’t there a quantity minimum to work? I only make 1/4 cup at a time and fry it in Salmon fish fat after frying my fish, plus garlic and onions. Yummy. A pressure cooker will render it nasty. I guess I can see if there will be an online July 4th sale. Eating tasty foods is overrated.
July 02, 2020 12:18AM
My gosh! No wonder my arrhythmia restarted. I eat a blueberry nut
kind bar Every morning along with a glass of almond milk. Who knew that the following list is high in phytic acid.

The following table shows the amount contained in a few high-phytate foods, as a percentage of dry weight (1Trusted Source):

Food Phytic Acid
Almonds 0.4–9.4%
Beans 0.6–2.4%
Brazil nuts 0.3–6.3%
Hazelnuts 0.2–0.9%
Lentils 0.3–1.5%
Maize, corn 0.7–2.2%
Peanuts 0.2–4.5%
Peas 0.2–1.2%
Rice 0.1–1.1%
Rice bran 2.6–8.7%
Sesame seeds 1.4–5.4%
Soybeans 1.0–2.2%
Tofu 0.1–2.9%
Walnuts 0.2–6.7%
Wheat 0.4–1.4%
Wheat bran 2.1–7.3%
Wheat germ 1.1–3.9%
As you can see, the phytic acid content is highly variable. For example, the amount contained in almonds can vary up to 20-fold.
July 02, 2020 04:18PM
I wasn’t able to get an EXA test so I had the regular which I compared to those times in AF:
Magnesium- 2.0 (high) range 1.4-1.9 June 1, 2920
1.8 during AF on 5-14 while having chemo

Potassium: yesterday was 5.2...(reference spread of 135-146 range)
June during AF- 4.6

I take 99mg of k a day and 200 magnesium . Going to double my magnesium

I think I am in af now.,steady 67 hr but Kardia says possibly AF because of no p waves. I had a morning of 104 tachy which Kardia found P waves. I only took a Kardia reading because I was dizzy
July 08, 2020 09:01PM
According to Dr. Dean's book the Magesium Miracle, there are other things which hamper the body's ablility to use magnesium. The biggest being Calcium and Zinc. I had my copper/zinc ratio tested and found out I was high in copper and low in zinc, so started taking zinc, not knowing that it affected my Mg! Went into AFib. That was a while back. Since my ablation, I'm free of it now for a month. Recently I started taking zinc again because I want to have plenty in me incase I get exposed to Covid. I'm trying to get as close to 900 mg of Magnesium down every day as well as applying it to my skin to saturate the cells and hopefully keep AF away!!! No, I don't take Dr. Dean's brand, now that I know it has lead. I don't need any more of thatt in my body.. Now I also eat as little calcium as possible too. It's hard, because it is in every food except iceberg lettuce smileys with beer No dairy for sure, and the almond milk probably has calcium too. I hope you are able to keep your Mg levels up and stay out of AF
July 08, 2020 09:52PM
I drink almond milk without added calcium.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login