Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Drug of choice for Aflutter if one has damage to the vestibular system already causing lifelong "dizziness"

Posted by Madeline 
Hello,

I would like to see if anyone with a profile similar to mine has found one of the antiarrhythmics better suited for not causing side effects related to disturbance of the vestibular system. Specifically, either sotalol, flecainide or Multaq.

I was ablated (index) last yr for afib. Many months later, I have had 2 episodes of A. flutter. I need another ablation, but prefer not to get ablated until the coronavirus situation settles down more, exp in TX, so I will be staying on medicine (which I would like to not be on!).

I take relatively low doses & am currently on carvedilol (Coreg) 6.25 mg b.i.d., flecainide 50 mg q.12 h., Xarelto 20 mg w/dinner.

Two problems I have with regard to the meds are:
1. Had a one & only, but major vertigo 2/1/20, which apparently killed a nerve & left me with a boing/boing feeling in the head on motion. (For ~10 years, I have also had a rare type of acoustic neuroma in one ear which caused deafness in that ear & I am monitored for that, which is a possible factor in my newfound vestibular symptoms). I got a lot better after doing vestibular training for a few months to retrain my brain. But when I started on flecainide after the 2nd atrial flutter, my vestibular symptoms increased.
2. I also have a moderate benign essential tremor which had disappeared on the low dose carvedilol, but has returned slightly since starting flecainide. It is mostly only a problem when eating or with fine motor use of hands.

I am wondering if I should just hang in there with flecainide or try a switch to Multaq or sotalol. I was on sotalol before & it gave me some moderate shortness of breath & of course it is a beta blocker (dizziness), so for that reason this time I tried flecainide. I do see unpleasant side effects listed for Multaq also though & i would have to meet a $435 deductible to start it.

Should I try a switch or just stay on flecainide? Not sure if the Multaq requires starting in a hospital setting.

Thank you.
Multaq does not require a hospital stay.

If you really think flecainide is the culprit (I'm skeptical) then giving Multaq a try is easy (other than the deductible). It's generally the mildest of the antiarrhythmics and has few, if any, side effects for most people.
Thanks Carey.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login