Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can I stop Eliquis.

Posted by Pokey 
Can I stop Eliquis.
June 16, 2020 03:56PM
I have 3 weeks to go until I reach the end of my blanking period following an ablation for AFlutter. A 14 day zio patch study showed NSR the entire time. I’ve had no sxs of AFlutter or AFib since the ablation and both were induced at the time. I’d like to stop the Eliquis when I get to the end of the 90 days. Any good reason I shouldn’t be able to. I think my cardiologist will be good with it.
Re: Can I stop Eliquis.
June 16, 2020 04:55PM
That's going to depend mainly on your CHADS-Vasc score. A score of 0 means yes, 1 means maybe, 2 means probably not, and >2 means definitely not.
June 16, 2020 05:01PM
Chads score played no role in decision for me to be on Eliquis for life. A missing A wave was my issue. Everything else was above par.
June 16, 2020 06:22PM
My chad score is 1. As I understand I have about 1% chance of a stroke at that. Also understand I also have 1%+ chance of a major bleed being on the Eliquis. Seems like a wash.
June 16, 2020 06:28PM
smackman
Chads score played no role in decision for me to be on Eliquis for life. A missing A wave was my issue. Everything else was above par.

Well, sure, there can be exceptions. Anyone with an isolated LAA that doesn't pump blood effectively would be a good example (that would be me prior to the Watchman). But I knew that didn't describe Pokey.
June 16, 2020 07:43PM
Carey: I’ve heard the term “ the watchman” numerous times and have no idea what it’s referring to. Do you have a reference I can go read about it??
June 16, 2020 11:40PM
Pokey
I have 3 weeks to go until I reach the end of my blanking period following an ablation for AFlutter. A 14 day zio patch study showed NSR the entire time. I’ve had no sxs of AFlutter or AFib since the ablation and both were induced at the time. I’d like to stop the Eliquis when I get to the end of the 90 days. Any good reason I shouldn’t be able to. I think my cardiologist will be good with it.

Pokey, it is still too soon. I had my Natale ablation in September and was itching to stop Eliquis by February but I was told to continue. 7 months after my ablation I went into AF for 2+ days until I was ECV.

So I’m happy I listened and remained on Eliquis. I don’t have your 1 CHAD score, mine is 3 so obviously it maybe different for you to discontinue Eliquis. I think you should ask your EP and listen to his advise. He knows more about your heart than anyone on this forum.
June 16, 2020 11:46PM
Pokey - AFAIK - watchman is an expanding parachute inserted into left atrial appendage to prevent clot formation.

Just google it
June 17, 2020 12:37AM
Yes I found as you suggested. Is it any better than the lariat procedure? Thankfully I’m not in need of it at this time. Cheers
June 17, 2020 03:31PM
There's no conclusive evidence that one device is superior to the other, but it's probably a moot point for you since it's extremely unlikely your insurance would cover either one. You would have to pay for it out-of-pocket and I would expect that to be well over $20K.
June 17, 2020 04:17PM
Not that I need it , but Medicare doesn’t cover such procedures??
June 17, 2020 08:19PM
Medicare and most insurance companies will only cover LAA occlusion (LAAO) devices if you're unable to tolerate anticoagulants or anticoagulants are inadequate. For example, having bleeding problems or experiencing a stroke or TIA while taking them would be an example of when they will cover it.

I think this will change in the near future because there's early data showing that LAAO devices pay for themselves within about 5 years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login