Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back Massage and AF

Posted by Frank 
Frank
Back Massage and AF
November 09, 2003 04:03PM
I was getting a back message form my wife. When she rubbed a certain area just between my shoulder blades I felt my heart skip. As she rubbed that area more it put me into AF. I have noticed this dull pain before in my back right where the heart is located. I also noticed when taking a deep breath I had a dull pain in the same spot. I never made any reference to it before,but now find if any pressure is applied to that area of my back it will effect my heart rate. Anyone have the same symptom,I will be seeing my EP about this as it concerns me.
Frank
Liz H.
Re: Back Massage and AF
November 09, 2003 04:49PM
Yes, anytime that I put pressure on a certain area in my back, like when driving or laying back againist pillows pressing on that area can cause palps. In the daytime they just cause palps but at night it can lead to AF. I have to be careful how I lay, I can't just throw myself down against my pillow like I used to, I have to be very careful how I lay down. Guess it stimulates our Vagal nerve.

Liz
Chris H
November 09, 2003 09:44PM
Yes Liz

I'm exactly the same I only lie on my RHS. I seem to wake with AF if I fall asleep and wake on my back. No more leeping into bed I'm afraid.
Chris H
kestra
November 10, 2003 04:06AM
That's why I sleep in the recliner. I'm slightly reclined instead of flat, so there seems to be less pressure on everything.
John S.
November 10, 2003 07:35AM
Is this problem somethig that a chiropractor could help with? It sounds like it could be caused by pressure on a nerve and that periodic adjustment of the vertebrae in that area might help. I haven't had the problem so I don't know for sure that chiropractic adjustment would help, nor am I a chiropractor.
Carol
November 10, 2003 07:49AM
There is a particular point along the spinal column - can't remember the letter and number - that chiropractors associate with afib. With afibbers it tends to be sensitive and sore to the touch. It is on the left hand side of the back and opposite the area of the heart.

I have experienced this sensitivity. I too have to lie on my rhs, propped up by pillows.
Carol
sami
November 10, 2003 02:57PM
Carol we come to the question of chiropractors and accupuncture. I haven't heard from the bulliten board about accupuncture and atrial fibrillation.
Your comments.

Sami
Debbi
November 10, 2003 05:22PM
Nice to know that I'm not the only person that has to sleep in a recliner. I can not lie flat or I'd be in afib all the time. I'm also on oxygen for COPD and it helps be breath better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login