Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What's Going On

Posted by Ken 
Ken
What's Going On
April 07, 2020 09:20AM
Many of you know my story, but I don't know exactly what is currently happening. My first ablation 13 years ago was a great success. After a roaring comeback of afib in Nov. and Dec. 2019 - I had my second ablation on Jan. 6 of this year. The first week I had considerable arrhythmias, which Flecainide stopped, then went on Flec for two full months to avoid breakthroughs. That worked perfectly, then off all meds. March 6.

One month of smooth sailing until last Fri. and again last night, Mon. Both breakthroughs were at night and I was awake when they kicked in, I took 200mg of Flec and the episodes were gone when I awoke a couple of hours later. Am I still in the blanking period 3 months out??

My question - I am very symptomatic, and always know when something is askew. I took my pulse both times and it was 70 the first night and 75 the second night. Normal resting pulse around 60. Each beat was somewhat solid, some stronger than others, with an irregular pattern, pauses then rapid. My afib pulse 13+ years ago without meds was 180. My afib last fall was much slower around 80+ as I recall without meds, but I am wondering if my current experience is afib or some other arrhythmia.

I do have a on line video appointment with a new Electrophysiologist next week. My ablation Dr. is half way across the country.
Re: What's Going On
April 07, 2020 10:07AM
Hard to say what's going on with nothing more than a heart rate. Even your EP won't be able to tell you much from that. Do you have a Kardia or some other sort of ECG device? When you feel your pulse is it a regular rhythm?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2020 10:08AM by Carey.
Ken
April 07, 2020 11:50AM
No devices to monitor the heart rate at this time. The rhythm is irregular. I am supposed make a holter monitor request next week with my new EP., so assuming I can actually get one, maybe it will catch my irregular, somewhat fast HR.
April 07, 2020 08:52PM
If it's irregular, it's probably AF, but you'd need a monitor to confirm that.
April 21, 2020 07:24AM
I’m pretty sure I’m not the first person to suggest this, but an Apple Watch would be a great tool for people who need to see what’s going on with their heart And don’t want to go to a hospital. My EP recommend getting one and it’s been a great asset. I can email him my EKG.
Ken
April 21, 2020 10:10AM
I pretty much know what is going on, but would love to think it's not returning afib when I have a new episode. I always know when it kicks in as I am highly symptomatic. I had an on line video conference with my new EP, but we decided not to go with a holter monitor because I am always aware when in afib. I will just go with the "pill in the pocket" for awhile and if the afib kicks in too often, then go to daily Flecainide.

I am taking more K and Mg and hoping that helps. By the way, what is the approximate dose of Mg for you folks when you reach your bowel tolerance?
April 22, 2020 09:55PM
Ken
I am taking more K and Mg and hoping that helps. By the way, what is the approximate dose of Mg for you folks when you reach your bowel tolerance?

Just work up the Mg dosage slowly and see what you can tolerate, or better yet what’s effective without even getting to the tolerance limit. I personally take 800mg per day of the bisglycinate chelate without issue. I see no need to increase it as I have almost no PACs at all now, or at least so few that it’s not worth even lifting a finger over.
Ken
April 23, 2020 09:52AM
Thanks for the info. I currently take 600mg - 200 3X a day with no bowel issues. Maybe I will jump to 800 and see.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login