Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

An AF observation after an ECV

An AF observation after an ECV
April 03, 2020 01:12AM
I have this spO2 ring I wear while sleeping to track quality of sleep O2 levels and heart rate.

It's a useful device as it allowed me to show my cardiologist how my AF was likely vagal in nature (from Sept 2019 - [flic.kr] ).

After seeing the opportunity from the above and when I only had AF attacks once a month, I used the ring to alert me by vibration that my heart had gone above 2 standard deviations so I could get up and run up and down the stairs or do squats and prevent an AF attack by invoking the sympathetic response. It worked several times but ultimately did not.

Before going to bed tonight, I looked at the files from the device and noticed that my heart was progressively having trouble keeping a steady rate from the first night on and back into AF on the 4th night. The graphic shows a baseline from last year and 4 consecutive nights after an ECV.

I'm thinking that such data might be used to avoid an AF event by implementing or increasing a known working intervention at the first sign of trouble and before going back into AF.

That's my plan anyway. Next time I am in NSR and if and when I find a working home remedy.

[flic.kr]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2020 12:39PM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
Re: An AF observation after an ECV
April 03, 2020 04:52AM
Do you drink before and after running up and down stairs to avoid dehydration which can bring on AF? Electrolyte water is a suggestion. Whole Foods delivers via prime now.com if you have an amazon account. Otherwise you can buy electrolyte powder and add it to water. Avoid sugar drinks.
April 03, 2020 09:15AM
Thanks Susan,

This is happening in the middle of the night and the activity only needs to be for about 2 minutes to 'distract' the parasympathetic. It's worked several times.

I avoid sugar like the plague (and carbs in general) Typically eat less than 20 grams of carbs a day.

The point of my post is that after seeing the pattern of increasing spikes in heart rate over several nights one could apply a working intervention before NSR is lost. That's the theory anyway.

First I need a working intervention. Tried and ate ginger paste this AM - cuz it's the only thing I have in the house.

Acupuncture at 9 with another PIP of flec.
April 03, 2020 01:12PM
You maybe giving yourself AF from restricting carbs. I was on a diet and my GP told me to lower my carbs to 50 grams a day. I figured how easy it was so I went down to 40 and went into AF- I was in NSR for about a year straight. The ER doctor told me I gave AF to myself. Since the advice was not from my EP I made an appointment. He confirmed her advise. 70-80 grams was the level at the time that kept me in nsr. I am still at that level. My GP (another degree in nutrition) told me to eat a carb with a protein).

Everyone is different...but this was advice from two medical professionals. Maybe eat more low glycemic carbs and see if you get less AF.
April 03, 2020 01:58PM
Thank you Susan,

Keto and low carb were both early suspects and I did a few interventions of several weeks of more good carbs and even a little holiday carbs (pizza and gelato in Italy) - no change other than weight gain, higher blood glucose and if too much bread all over inflammation resembling the day after a heavy weight lifting session.
April 03, 2020 02:13PM
I love Gelato in Italy, I thought if it when cnn showed Italy on the news... but it’s high in sugar.

There’s carbs in onions, carrots, cottage cheese, etc...so don’t think you only get carbs from pizza or bread...however I did go off my diet last summer and ate 3 gluten free raisin bread slices with rice cheks and I went into AF. Not the 1st time with this combo. You just have to balance your food.

Recently after my ablation I was in my backyard moving big rocks from the 6000 pound mountain pile I bought. I used 1/3 - 1/2 of a bucket each trip and went into either AF or Atrial flutter. Total waste of losing in NSR. Lifting is a trigger for me. Yesterday I cleaned out my fridge and the act of lifting the plastic produce drawer filled with soapy water put my heart in overdrive. Have you experimented to limit your weight lifting to see if you can remain in nsr longer?
April 03, 2020 02:45PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I have this spO2 ring I wear while sleeping to track quality of sleep O2 levels and heart rate.

Curious what device you use?

The comment on your slide where you say you are older than most first time presentations with vagal afib - I recall you are in your 50's. I have a correspondent who's daughter (an infrequent poster here, and an afibber herself) connected me with. He was in his mid 70's when he presented with vagal afib. He was very active. I recall he'd climbed Everest among a lot of other mountaineering. So the older active folks can present later in life.
April 03, 2020 04:04PM
George, 56 at that time

This one - [www.amazon.com]

Susan,
I've tried every experiment I could think of and it's now down to less D and less calcium.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login