Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

After an ECV ?

After an ECV ?
March 27, 2020 05:38PM
I had a cardioversion Wednesday AM - now in NSR.

I'm noticing a little bit of sensation (not really pain) that if I had to guess would be maybe my heart retraining itself to beat normally?

Does this sound right? Hoping this NSR sticks - thanks.

[imgur.com]
Re: After an ECV ?
March 27, 2020 07:31PM
Well, I don't know about that but if you want to think of it that way then go right ahead. Enjoy the NSR!
March 28, 2020 04:42AM
What's likely happening is you're now "tuned" to your heart. It's like your favourite radio station. Before being an afibber, I barely noticed I had a beating heart. I only thought about my HR while riding my bicycle.
Now I'm in NSR 99.5% of the time, but I'm not able to forget about my HR. I just try to relax and enjoy life, but it's not always easy.
March 28, 2020 05:53PM
Had first bike ride since ECV. When in AF, HR was about 75 typically. Now in NSR 61. When riding the bike in AF, HR was easy up to 145-150. Riding at the same speeds and today (an easy ride) never got above 107. Bottom line, an NSR heart is way more efficient than an AF one.

Doing everything I can to avoid AF and stay in NSR.
March 28, 2020 08:48PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
Had first bike ride since ECV. When in AF, HR was about 75 typically. Now in NSR 61. When riding the bike in AF, HR was easy up to 145-150. Riding at the same speeds and today (an easy ride) never got above 107. Bottom line, an NSR heart is way more efficient than an AF one.

Resting AF heart rate is quite individual. Having yours at 75 is a blessing for you. Many with higher resting AF heart rates are quite symptomatic.

Yes, an NSR heart rate is way more efficient. On day 1 of my afib "career," I'd taken my blood pressure with a manual cuff. BP was fine, but heart sounded very odd (I had not idea what I had at this point). Put on a heart rate monitor, walked downstairs and back up at my house. My HR was 145 going up the stairs. My trigger was a delayed vagal trigger after a training run on a 14'er. I'd been training for the Pikes Peak Ascent race. Normally my heart rate might have been 70 or 75 going up the stairs.

Keeping it purely aerobic makes a lot of sense, so your 107 is good.

Best wishes toward continued NSR!!

George
March 29, 2020 09:47AM
Bad news. I popped out of NSR last night and now back in AF. Took a MulTaq this AM and hoping for the best.

About 90 hours in NSR.. maybe another ECV and different drug ?

I am doing everything right - no caffeine, D at 64, omega 3 exactly in the lowest spot of U shaped curve, all minerals in line, no sugar, grains, very limited calcium.

Frustrating. Maybe one more ECV then off to Austin for Dr. N.
March 30, 2020 06:28AM
Were you still taking Metroprolol while in NSR? Beta-Blocker can make Vagally induced AFIB worse. Many Athletes have Vagal AFIB. I have had AFIB for 15 years, the Doctors always prescribing Beta-Blockers and Anti-Arrythmics that have Beta-Blocking properties. Twice now when it seemed hopeless, and all of the Drugs failed, I chose the non-option presented to me by the Doctors. I got off of everything (Beta-Blockers, and AAM), and only then was I able to maintain NSR. Now I will only take a Beta-Blocker for rate control during AFIB, not while in NSR.
March 31, 2020 11:20AM
Thanks Anti-Fib,

Yes, I had seen this and was skeptical of their use but this first ECV, more than anything, I wanted to stick.

I was also taking MulTaq and the MetSuc is required or recommended to prevent ventricular issues.

(the above may be in error and my mistaken trust in the 8th cardiologist I've seen in the last 12 months. These guys are the worst, mainly obsessed with dispensing statins and moving you up the healthcare value chain to more expensive procedures.)

Right now I am focused on Vit D (in other thread) and would consider the idea of having another ECV without the MulTaq and MetSuc 'saturation' in place and ahead of the ECV.

Any advice and success stories along these lines would be helpful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2020 08:59PM by NotLyingAboutMyAfib.
March 31, 2020 03:04PM
NotLyingAboutMyAfib
I was also taking MulTaq and the MetSuc is required or recommended to prevent ventricular issues.

That's not true. You're thinking of flecainide. In fact, taking beta blockers with Multaq has to be done very cautiously because Multaq can increase plasma levels of beta blockers and the two combined can cause bradycardia.
March 31, 2020 03:52PM
Carey

I hope you're right - but here I go again to find another cardiologist because he without a doubt put me on it for this ECV and in making the transition between Flecainide to Multaq with a 72 hr window of no drugs.
March 31, 2020 05:08PM
Multaq followed by cardioversion sounds like a reasonable plan. Do you object to it for some reason?
March 31, 2020 06:13PM
Other than the waste of the ECV I just had - none at all. Just need to get D down and as you've stated corrected this bad idea (prescribed by 2 different cardis) to take metsuc with MulTaq. Thank you very much.

I recall reading this about met tartrate originally but with all of the other hydra heads I've cut off along the way didn't have it forefront.

Thanks again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login