Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Blood pooling/clotting in the heart during afib

Posted by cirenepurzalot 
Blood pooling/clotting in the heart during afib
January 14, 2020 09:26AM
I know the medical community states there's a higher risk of stroke if you have afib. I've read about blood pooling/clotting in a part of the heart, etc....

How long does your afib event have to be for the blood to pool/clot in the heart? Is this an accumulative thing, or once the event is over the blood clot risk (for that heart, at that time) is over? Is there a natural way to prevent this (non-surgical, non-prescription)?
Re: Blood pooling/clotting in the heart during afib
January 14, 2020 10:38AM
That's a good question. Traditionally the answer was 48 hours, but that's been called into doubt in recent years with newer research showing it can happen much sooner than that. How much sooner hasn't been answered authoritatively, and it definitely depends on age, overall health, and CHADS-Vasc score. So 48 hours might be right for a healthy 40-year old but not for a 70-year old with diabetes and heart disease. It might be just an hour or less for the older, sicker patient.

It's not cumulative. Once your heart resumes a normal rhythm your atria begin pumping again and immediately clear out the stagnating blood. In fact, this is when strokes happen. This is why they won't cardiovert you if you've been in afib without being on an anticoagulant because if clots have formed in the left atrium, restoring normal rhythm will cause them to be pumped out.

You can take a few things other than anticoagulants to reduce the tendency to clot such as nattokinase, but I wouldn't call nattokinase any more "natural" than anticoagulants like Eliquis, and how much is enough and how effective it is simply isn't known. Substituting any known supplement isn't a reliable, demonstrably safe option.
Re: Blood pooling/clotting in the heart during afib
January 16, 2020 10:12PM
Very informative Carey! Thank you so much for the insights!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login