Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Update on the 13 Year Anniversary Update, Update

Posted by Ken 
Ken
Update on the 13 Year Anniversary Update, Update
January 12, 2020 02:18PM
After 13 years of success from my first ablation, my “relapse” (two 10-day periods of afib) in November and December resulted in a second ablation. Done by Dr. Kevin Wheelan at the Baylor Scott & White Heart and Vascular Hospital in Dallas, who did my first ablation in 2006.

I made it to Dallas (from Raleigh) on Jan. 5, ablated on the 6th and home on the 8th. Started the RF ablation at 7:40 am and out at 10:40. Released the same day at 5:30. I went walking for about 1 mile the next day and two miles the second day with no discomfort. Significant throat pain because of the intubation, but gone in a day and a half. No issues with the catheter insertion point, but four were inserted in the same location (right groin). Three in the femoral vein and one in the femoral artery. Some breakthroughs were found around the pulmonary veins and were re-ablated. Other new areas ablated as well, but not the left atrial appendage, although one line did run up to the appendage. 43 total “energy applications”/burns.

I was told to stay on Eliquis for one month and then stop. I am to use Flecainide as needed (pill in a pocket) for arrythmias during the blanking period, which I have taken 4 times in the last 6 days. Not afib, but different heart rates and big pauses between 3 to 5 or so beats. Sleeping the first two nights was interrupted often by tossing and turning, but has now settled back to normal.

The Dr. said I could begin weight workouts in one week, but my workouts have been somewhat low key as I am recovering from a hip replacement 2.5 months ago (takes time for the bone to grow around the prosthesis). I have only had 6 workouts since the 2-month layoff after the hip, but none yet after the ablation. I am not doing anything aerobically other than fast walking, two miles a day, so my heart rate isn’t increasing much. The Dr. said that the issue with weight workouts in the first week is with the catheter insertion points and not the heart.

I will see a local EP for an ECG at about one month and again in 3-6 months for a 48 hr. holter monitor check. Not going back to Dallas to see Dr. Wheelan.

Time will tell, but I am optimistic about this ablation being as successful as the last, but I guess that means I may be doing it again in 13 years at age 87.
Re: Update on the 13 Year Anniversary Update, Update
January 12, 2020 02:59PM
Great news Ken!!

So glad you got your very long term follow up done expeditiously and wishing you and your wife
all the best for an even longer time frame in NSR than last time. Perhaps you'll
get double your original 13 years :-) !! Could well be the case and I'm in favor of thinking BIG!

Cheers!
Shannon
Ken
Re: Update on the 13 Year Anniversary Update, Update
January 13, 2020 10:06AM
Thanks Shannon for the kind words and your assistance with helping me decide which way to manage my returning afib.

Now, two and a half days with no arrhythmia. Had some each of the first four days post ablation. I will likely go for a light weight workout today or tomorrow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login