Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Savaysa - blood thinner

Posted by Carola 
Savaysa - blood thinner
January 11, 2020 02:47PM
I have not been able to tolerate the blood thinners Eliquist or Xarelto, and about to begin Savaysa 60 m. The druggist says that it has a fast transit and shouldn't cause as many problems - like bowel problems.

Has anyone been on this drug and what is the general thinking about it?

Carol
Re: Savaysa - blood thinner
January 11, 2020 04:07PM
I took it during three months post-ablation and was happy stopping it. It was hard on my stomach.
Same effect with Xarelto I had taken before ablation.
I feel better with Pradaxa, but it's just me.
It's highly individual, as you could expect.
I never tried Eliquis.
January 11, 2020 04:55PM
I didnt take it long, but I thought it made my Blood very thin, more so than Zarelto and Eliquis.
January 11, 2020 07:06PM
Anti-Fib,

What made you think that it made your blood very thin?

What did you finally take?

Carol
January 12, 2020 04:54AM
It's not scientific, but looking at the slight bleeding I get from pin-pricks to test blood glucose, and injecting myself with Hormone replacement.

I just stopped taking them altogether. I got out of AFIB, and quit the Anti-Coagulants 3 weeks later.
January 12, 2020 05:51PM
Anti-Afib,

I tried Savaysa last night (6 PM) for the first time. Woke up at 2:30 AM in what I would call the whole body equivalent of "Restless Leg" syndrome. I couldn't stop moving! Creeping, crawling sensation all over my body. Finally took some Suntheanine and after about an hour I was able to go back to sleep.

Felt totally drugged this morning - dizzy, off balance, sleeping a lot sitting in the chair until early afternoon.

Believe me, it was awful and I am not going to continue taking it. $240 out the window.

When you say that you "got out of Afib," what do you mean? Had an ablation?
January 13, 2020 02:46AM
Carola:

Wow, thats horrible side effects just for taking an Anti-Coagulant.
They should give out samples to try, but maybe they didn't have any, Salvasa is not used very much, at least in the US.

I got tired of the whole AFIB thing, so I decided to stay in NSR for awhile, (no Ablation). Sine I am mostly Persistent, it got to be to much of a burden, Drugs to control the rate, and thin the blood, having to arrange Cardioversions with incompetent and unhelpful medical personnel, and so forth. The main thing that motivated me was wanting to do away with the Anti-Coagulants, the side effects for me of Hair loss and increased Rheumatogical symptoms.
January 13, 2020 05:55PM
The Anti-Fib
Carola:

Wow, thats horrible side effects just for taking an Anti-Coagulant.
They should give out samples to try, but maybe they didn't have any, Salvasa is not used very much, at least in the US.

I got tired of the whole AFIB thing, so I decided to stay in NSR for awhile, (no Ablation). Sine I am mostly Persistent, it got to be to much of a burden, Drugs to control the rate, and thin the blood, having to arrange Cardioversions with incompetent and unhelpful medical personnel, and so forth. The main thing that motivated me was wanting to do away with the Anti-Coagulants, the side effects for me of Hair loss and increased Rheumatogical symptoms.

How did you get out of AFIB? If I missed the answer above, I apologize. I was also in Persistent AFIB and would not convert without ECV. Finally had 2 Ablations in a 30 month span by Dr. Natale and have been in NSR SINCE July 2016 BUT I am on Eliquis for life due to no A WAVE.
January 17, 2020 05:10AM
"How did you get out of AFIB? If I missed the answer above, I apologize. I was also in Persistent AFIB and would not convert without ECV. Finally had 2 Ablations in a 30 month span by Dr. Natale and have been in NSR SINCE July 2016 BUT I am on Eliquis for life due to no A WAVE."

I made about 5 changes within a 4-5 week period, then got Cardioverted into NSR. One of the main changes that I made, was that I realized I was actually primarily Vagal all along, and that I basically had Vagally Mediated LAF. Therefore I stopped all of the Cardio Drugs the Cardiologist incorrectly gave me.

Drugs that slow down the Heart are Contra-Indicated for Vagal LAF. I stopped a Beta-Blocker, Calcium Channel Blocker, and all Anti-Arrythmics. All of the AAM have BB in them, or have BB properties, except Flecainide, but Flec is usually taken along with BB/CCB to limit the risk of Flutter at 1:1 conduction Ratio. Also for some people like me, Flec slows down the Heart. After maintaining NSR for 3 weeks following the ECV, I also was then able to terminate the Blood Thinners.
January 17, 2020 01:58PM
Anti-Fib

Are you still in NSR, I suppose your doctor doesn't like you stopping your anti-coagulant after 3 weeks, I don't like taking it but I guess I would wait longer to thinking about stopping it.

Liz
January 17, 2020 06:46PM
The Anti-Fib
Drugs that slow down the Heart are Contra-Indicated for Vagal LAF.

That's just not true. I've seen that opinion voiced around here, and everyone's welcome to their opinions, but there is no medical authority that would agree with that statement. What truly is contraindicated is uncontrolled tachycardia for prolonged periods of time.
January 18, 2020 01:33AM
Carey

Drugs that slow down the Heart are Contra-Indicated for Vagal LAF.

That's just not true. I've seen that opinion voiced around here, and everyone's welcome to their opinions, but there is no medical authority that would agree with that statement. What truly is contraindicated is uncontrolled tachycardia for prolonged periods of time.

I made that statement assuming one was in NSR, I take these Drugs if I am actually in AFIB/Flutter, and I am actually more aggressive in the rate-control of AFIB than the Doctors want, or most Afibbers implement.
January 18, 2020 02:10AM
Elizabeth
Anti-Fib

Are you still in NSR, I suppose your doctor doesn't like you stopping your anti-coagulant after 3 weeks, I don't like taking it but I guess I would wait longer to thinking about stopping it.

Liz

I am still in NSR.
4 weeks is the standard time, assuming NSR is maintained.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login