Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stopping Eliquis

Posted by Jons 
Stopping Eliquis
January 09, 2020 12:09AM
Do doctors usually instruct patents to stop Eliquis all at once or in stages? Just curious - coming up on the date the doctor told me he would take me off of it.
Re: Stopping Eliquis
January 09, 2020 12:28AM
You just stop it. There's no reason to taper.

There have been claims there's a rebound effect and it needs to be tapered, but I've only seen a single study about that and I was underwhelmed and unconvinced by it. People start and stop anticoagulants routinely every day and no harm has been observed.
January 09, 2020 10:38AM
Before I had to be on a anticoagulant “for life” I stopped Pradaxa cold turkey. I also stopped Xarelto cold turkey. No rebound effects; No issues.
January 09, 2020 03:23PM
I have to stop Eliquis a few days before my upcoming major surgery instead of bridging. I would have to cold turkey it and not taper off.
January 09, 2020 05:07PM
I have always been told to stop Eliquis cold turkey for procedures. No EP or other cardiologist has ever suggested tapering.
January 10, 2020 03:36AM
Daisy
I have always been told to stop Eliquis cold turkey for procedures. No EP or other cardiologist has ever suggested tapering.

I fully agree. I never took Eliquis, but I took each of the three other NOAC (Xarelto, Pradaxa and Savaysa) for some months. I never had to taper.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login