Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Eliquis

Posted by Elizabeth 
Eliquis
December 05, 2019 02:05PM
Are most members here that are taking blood thinners on Eliquis and if not what do you take? I am not very happy as I will be taking a blood thinner, probably Eliquis but I don't like the idea of having to take 2 pills a day. So, if anybody is taking a different med., are you ok with it. Our drugs are the most expensive in the world.

Liz
Re: Eliquis
December 05, 2019 02:14PM
Elizabeth
but I don't like the idea of having to take 2 pills a day.

My understanding is that 2 pills a day is an advantage, because the half life is short. Hence if you have a bleeding issue, you just don't take the next pill. Whereas a 1 pill/day med would have twice the half life and this could be more of an issue if a bleed develops.
December 05, 2019 03:15PM
I've been taking at least one drug or another twice a day for the last 10 years so it's no big deal for me. I like Eliquis because it's the safest and most effective of all the anticoagulants. If the twice daily thing is a deal breaker for you, you can always take Xarelto instead, but it comes with its own hassles. It must be taken with a meal and that would be a much bigger drawback for me than twice daily dosing.
December 06, 2019 01:11PM
I got a call today from the Pharmacist from U of M that is handling my anti coagulant, we also talked yesterday he wanted to give me the 5 mg. of Eliquis. I told him that I would rather he prescribe the 2.5 and wasn't real keen on the twice a day. So today when he called he said the doctors he has been talking to said to change the drug from Eliquis to Xarelto. I said that I had understood that eliquis was better than Xarelto and he said he didn't find that so, he said they were equal. So, what to do---I told him I would take the 5 mg. of Eliquis they don't listen to the patient and take some things into consideration.

I was told to take the pills 12 hours apart.

Liz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2019 01:17PM by Elizabeth.
December 06, 2019 02:43PM
12 hours apart. I have no side effects from eliquis
December 06, 2019 04:25PM
Susan

I don't understand your reply, do you take the drug 12 hours apart or don't you pay attention to the time?

Liz
December 06, 2019 09:41PM
The standard dosing for Eliquis in the context of AF is 5mg BID (2x/day). The 2.5mg dosing is for DVT (deep vein thrombosis) or PE (pulmonary embolism) prophylactic treatment.
December 19, 2019 06:19PM
Elizabeth,

I switched from Eliquis to Xarelto and now have fewer side effects.

However, I think that joint, back and muscle pain in my legs may be attributed to both of them.

Carol
December 24, 2019 11:39AM
More potential bleeds like nose bleeds with Xarelto I believe due to the fact that it had to be stronger to last 24 hours.
December 31, 2019 10:26AM
I take warfarin.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login