Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Magnesium, thyroid, eliquis and stuff

Posted by Elizabeth 
Magnesium, thyroid, eliquis and stuff
November 27, 2019 03:26PM
Why are some people required to take 5.0 Eliquis and others only 2.5?

I have had a bad month and a 1/2,
It started on a sunday my hands and arms were shaking, I also had it Monday. I thought it was probably my thyroid as the TSH was only 0.57 which is on the very low of the lab scale (which means I am could be a little hyper). I had been taking the same mcgs for quite a while, and felt good, I just stopped the thyroid meds and was very tried, I resumed them about 5 days later, I was very sleepy and tried.. About 3 weeks later I started getting runs of AF, and I still am.
I also was having stomach cramps and had to go to the bathroom quite often, I don't know if I had some kind of stomach flu or what had happened, that has stopped also.

Another weird thing has happened, I have taken magnesium for years but a few weeks ago I did get a different magnesium called Doctors Best 200 mg. from Albion which has been recommended on here. I took only 1/2 scoop for a few days and I was ok, then I took a full scoop and also some Hawthorne berry and went to bed a couple of hours later I woke up with a pounding heart for about 2 hours before it settled down, I wasn't sure what was wrong, so I did try the magnesium a few days later with the Hawthrone berry and the same thing happened. It was very scary, I am leery to take any magnesium yet it has helped me in the past, I have taken Hawthrone berry separately without a problem. I have read that Magnesium can build up in your system, maybe that has happened to me.

It has been rough
Liz
Re: Magnesium, thyroid, eliquis and stuff
November 27, 2019 03:42PM
Elizabeth
Why are some people required to take 5.0 Eliquis and others only 2.5?

The normal dose is 5 mg. People take 2.5 mg for several reasons. For example:

Very petite/low body weight
Impaired kidney function
High stroke risk but also high bleed risk
As a choice over aspirin following LAA occlusion device (that's my reason)
As a choice over nothing following successful ablation
Doctor's discretion for other situations calling for "a little" anticoagulation
November 27, 2019 04:09PM
Carey

Why would you want to take Eliquis over aspirin? I don't think most people would.

The pacer clinic called this afternoon and wanted me to send another transcription from my home monitor, they already have one that I sent one a week ago, they have an EkG from this past Mon. and they want more, but my machine died so I couldn't send one I have to get a new St Jude machine.

Liz
November 27, 2019 05:36PM
Elizabeth
Why would you want to take Eliquis over aspirin? I don't think most people would.

Because it's safer and more effective than aspirin.

People like to think aspirin is safer than anticoagulants, but they're wrong. Aspirin has a higher bleed risk, and it's significantly less effective at preventing atrial clots.
November 27, 2019 07:00PM
Elizabeth

Liz, the data are unequivocal, aspirin is not significantly effective in warding off afib strokes. NOAC's and warfarin are much more efficacious with the NOAC's being better than warfarin. Eliquis has an advantage, in that it has a shorter half life.
November 28, 2019 12:59AM
Liz, aspirin can cause GI pain, thus a better choice to take Eliquis. I was like you. I asked my ep why some patients only take 2.5 and I had to take 5mg being normal weight and petite? He confirmed Carey statement of those over 80 with kidney issues process drugs differently by remaining in their body longer and 2.5mg would be advisable then. How is your kidney function?
Ken
November 28, 2019 09:24AM
Regarding the dosage of Eliquis, I was prescribed 5 mg 2X day or 10mg per day. This was in prep for a cardioversion, but I converted before the cardioversion and the Dr. said to stay on the Eliquis for one month. Is 10mg too much at this point? I weigh 170 lbs and am 74.

What I just found this on line from Drug.com -

Reduction of Risk of Stroke and Systemic Embolism in Patients with Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation
The recommended dose of ELIQUIS for most patients is 5 mg taken orally twice daily.
The recommended dose of ELIQUIS is 2.5 mg twice daily in patients with at least two of the following characteristics:

age ≥80 years

body weight ≤60 kg

serum creatinine ≥1.5 mg/dL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2019 09:32AM by Ken.
November 28, 2019 02:06PM
Ken:

I am over 80

My Creatinine is 0.87 Creatinine ratio should be 0.60 - 0.88

I weigh about what I should.

I even have trouble with supplements

I don't think they should be giving me the 5 mg.

Liz
November 28, 2019 02:17PM
Susan:

My Creatinine is in range but my urea nitrogen (bun) are not, my Bun is a little high, my doctor said I should drink more water, I know I don't drink enough, I have taken baby aspirin off and on for a few years, I don't have any GI pain, I imagine I will have more problems with a blood thinner.

Liz
November 29, 2019 07:40AM
Carey is correct on the aspirin. Why is it that most patients trust OTC drugs which come with several lethal warnings over prescribed meds with guidance?
November 29, 2019 08:26AM
Elizabeth, you said "... also was having stomach cramps and had to go to the bathroom quite often, I don't know if I had some kind of stomach flu or what had happened, that has stopped also."

Are you taking Eliquis or just contemplating it? I am having the same issues with Eliquis 5mg. three weeks + into beginning it. I, too, thought it might be a stomach bug, but then found it mentioned as a side effect on the web site for the generic form. (I am very sensitive to drugs)

Are you waiting to eat or drink anything at least an hour before and an hour after taking your thyroid medicine? That is very important.

Carol
November 29, 2019 03:22PM
My doctors are going over my blood draws, also some other tests to determine the mg. I am to take. The holiday is slowing things up for me. I have low platelets, lower than the lab scale. I will not take the 5 mg. as I am sure I will have problems with it, if I take Eliquis..

Liz
November 29, 2019 04:34PM
Correct me I am wrong...but can’t you start Eliquis and see if it agrees with you? The benefits outweigh the side effects unless the side effects cause more serious problems. You are over 80. Can you compromise with your doctor for the 2.5 dose?
November 29, 2019 04:50PM
Susan:'

In the beginning of my AF career I was given Coumadan, I took it for a while and then I started having bloodshot eyes and when just opening a door, my thumb filled with blood and I had to stop it. So, with my low platelets they are being cautious. I will end up no doubt taking the 2.5.

Liz
November 29, 2019 05:23PM
I'm sorry you have had such a rough time. Hope this gets better for you soon!

As far as Eliquis - I took it for about 3 months right after my Afib episode. At my first EP visit (and only one so far) back in Feb., he told me to stop it and restart if I had another episode.

While I was taking it for those 3 months, my stomach was a little weird. However, if needed, I will take it again.

Take care Liz.
November 29, 2019 06:42PM
Elizabeth
Susan:'

In the beginning of my AF career I was given Coumadan, I took it for a while and then I started having bloodshot eyes and when just opening a door, my thumb filled with blood and I had to stop it. So, with my low platelets they are being cautious. I will end up no doubt taking the 2.5.

Liz

Liz, with Eliquis you don’t need blood work drawn. With low platelets they may only give you 2.5. My mom, with AF, was on Coumadin and her INR was 3-4...super high. I don’t think you will have as high an INR with Eliquis. Obviously I am speculating and you need to talk to a trustworthy doctor.
November 29, 2019 09:42PM
I have a very good doctor, I have been with him for almost 20 years, he knows me well and is being very cautious. I know you don't need blood drawn with Eliquis only with Coumadin. They have already checked my INR.

liz
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login