Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GI surgery after an ablation?

Posted by susan.d 
GI surgery after an ablation?
November 22, 2019 07:09PM
I have a few polyps in my gall bladder since 2002. I had many opportunities to get surgery but didn’t because I read surgery could trigger an AF. Stupid really in hindsight because if a polyp grows it could become cancerous and gall bladder cancer maybe fatal. I did ask in 2012 when they double dip two surgeries at once (GI & GYN) and the surgeons refused saying two at one shot was a risk in itself and they didn’t want to remove my gall bladder while two teams gutted me in separate areas at one time.

That said, in 2002 I made an agreement with my GI doctor to get the surgery once my polyps grow to 1cm. They have remained @.87-.92 the past 17 years. I get ultrasounds regularly to keep an eye on them. Perhaps maybe it’s tech error in size but my latest ultrasound it’s 1cm. Each tech measurements are always a bit off. So I may have to get surgery.

I just had my ablation two months ago and my heart is not healed to pre-ablation. I’m out of breath, can’t lift or do activities I previously could. My heart has bouts of tachy and I get pvc’s all the time. It’s a slow slow baby step improvement the past two months. I told my oncologist that my chemo was easier than now. I just started driving and this week I was able to walk the aisles of a small market without feeling syncope with angina.

I have to have a full GI surgery, not laparoscopic because of my previous three GI surgeries caused too many scar tissue. Could my heart handle a major surgery? Anyone have major surgery after an ablation who is not in good health? Can I have surgery while on Eliquis?

I kick myself not getting it done in 2009. The surgeon wanted me to have it so much he was waiving his fee. And I was 10 years younger and in good health without an AF episode in 5 years straight. I learned first hand that for me surgery would not trigger AF.
Re: GI surgery after an ablation?
November 22, 2019 08:04PM
Surgery won't be an issue for your heart. It's just as strong as it was before. But the Eliquis will definitely be an issue. I guarantee you no surgeon will do surgery like that on someone taking anticoagulants. The surgeon is probably going to want you off Eliquis several days before and after the surgery. How long is up to him but when I had hernia repair surgery he wanted me off Eliquis three days before and two days after. However, hernia repair surgery is less invasive than open gall bladder surgery, so the after period could be longer.

You probably shouldn't even think of doing this surgery until you're completely out of the blanking period, and then you're going to need to talk to Natale and see what he wants you to do. My guess would be he's going to say wait six months. If you must have it before then, you're going to need to have Natale send your surgeon the heparin bridging protocol he uses. I've seen surgeons unwilling to use bridging protocols, so if that's the case the two of them are going to have to speak and come up with a mutually agreeable plan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login