Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Experiences with Multaq?

Posted by Bpilgrim 
Experiences with Multaq?
November 18, 2019 08:40PM
I'm 60 and four years post-aortic valve replacement with a pacemaker. Last week, my device was read, and unbeknownst to me, I had 10 hours of AFib in October. Prior to this I'd had atrial tachycardia episodes of a few minutes, and for the last couple of months had built up to the afib with frequent PACs. My EP prescribed Multaq and Eliquis.

I'm curious about people's experiences with Multaq. I know like any drug that there will be people who hate it, but I'd also like to hear from people that haven't had issues with it. Also whether its helped with PACs and preventing Afib.

Trying to find out what realistically to expect. Many thanks in advance!
Re: Experiences with Multaq?
November 18, 2019 09:26PM
I was put on multaq in 2013. For me it was useless and dang expensive. No big side effects but not effective for my AFIB. Stopped taking it 6 months later and went on Solatol which did help. My biggest help was my 2 Ablations with Dr. Natale. AFIB free since July 2016. I was in persistent AFIB.
November 19, 2019 08:14AM
Multaq didn't do anything for me but apparently cause long conversion pauses, which are pretty frightening and potentially dangerous. I did take it a 2nd time after my Natale ablation, for 3 months, but I was in NSR the whole time.
November 19, 2019 12:09PM
I've taken it twice. The first time I found it ineffective. Basically, it did nothing. However, the second time was for a month following my ablation with Natale. Although I told him it had been completely ineffective before, he wanted me to take it anyway. And it turned out he was right. It was very effective at taming the ectopy and bouts of afib that often follow an ablation. I know this because I tried to stop early and I was instantly met with tons of PACs and wonky rhythms. So I resumed taking it and that all went away. I tried stopping again a couple of weeks later and by then the ablation had "taken hold" and I was good to go.

Natale uses it often for post-ablation rhythm control. It's a weak antiarrhythmic but that's why he likes it for short-term use following an ablation. It's low on side effects and interactions, so it's well suited for people who just need some calming of ectopy. It sounds like it might actually be a good choice for you. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a chance.
November 19, 2019 05:28PM
Like Carey, Dr. Natale put me on Multaq two months ago after my ablation. I’m in nsr, partly I speculate from his skilled hands. I was one of the 28% who has the prolonged QRS side effect from this drug. The original minor side effects were annoying (gas, burping, the worst itch from scalp to in between toes and eyelashes-everywhere, rash on face, worst gerd, GI pain) but i don’t have the severity as when starting and I ignore the side effects because I rather have this minor bother than a possible af during the blanking period.

I suggested to ’the team that I’m open to be on the drug for 6 months instead of 2-3 months because my primary EP suggested I ask permission. Maybe he suggested it bc he isn’t as experienced as natale. I don’t know why he prefers me on it longer but he just gave me his opinion and wants me to go by Natale’s advise. They don’t mind the 6 months and said ok. I’ll leave it to them during my follow up appointment @3 months in December because they know better. I’d rather not risk af during the holidays tho. I enjoy not visiting the ER.
November 19, 2019 07:47PM
susan.d
I’m in nsr, partly I speculate from his skilled hands.

LOL! Partly?
November 19, 2019 11:41PM
“Partly” from his skilled hands and experience and the rest from G-d I am in nsr. I know a lot of doctors that are not artists with their hands. Natale is a skilled mortal master. God is God a divine master...yeah, for a mortal Natale plays a big role so far in my recovery and I hope living a life in nsr. Happy Casey to clarify my statement.
December 02, 2019 02:18PM
I've been on it for 1 year now. Flecainide was starting to lose its effectiveness so my EP put me on multaq a few months before my second ablation. I tried going off it after the 3 month blanking period but i started getting lots of flutters and finally went into afib for a few hours (about 3 weeks after stopping the multaq). I went back on it and no issues since. It works well for me and no real side effects. I'm 58 and relatively healthy other than the afib problem. I may try going off it again soon to see if I still need it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login