Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

High Troponin Levels

Posted by JoyWin 
High Troponin Levels
October 16, 2019 02:23AM
Hi everyone, I would welcome any advice to calm my nerves with my latest episode of AF

I am 78 years old and get AF around 4-5 times a month for last 15 years 4-12 hours.. Very high HR. Self convert usually.

2 weeks ago went into rapid AF while shopping and almost passed out, ambulance called and taken to hospital. Converted about 8 hours later and sent home but had to go back following week for stress test.

However nine minutes into a hard stress test I went into rapid AF with RVR ? Chest pain nausea etc. Admitted back into hospital thru ER and converted around 7-8 hours.

As I was preparing to leave the Dr said you can't go as your Troponin levels have gone from 11 to 117. Totally freaked me out.
They came back down but I was admitted and had an angiogram which the Cardiologist said he was very pleased with. Minor CAD no blockages.

I've been sent home on Sotalol and of course Eliquis, was on Metoprolol but HR went down to 40-50.

The Cardiologist monitoring during the stress test said ECG was good before and after test.

Questions

What does such a high level of Troponin mean for me? I've googled and looked at research but can't see anything that high.

Also what is AF with RVR?

Have I had a heart attack?

Thanks In anticipation
Re: High Troponin Levels
October 16, 2019 08:16AM
Joy,

I'm not a doc and this is a shot in the dark. I know that marathoners can show elevated troponin levels after a race. Our doc, Steven Gundry, told us he's seen this in certain hard exercisers, too. Possible that your high afib heart rate caused the elevation, but doesn't mean you had a heart attack.

George

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2019 08:18AM by GeorgeN.
October 16, 2019 10:50PM

RVR stands for Rapid Ventricular Response. I think that is just medical terminology for having AFIB with a fast Heart Rate.
October 17, 2019 12:19AM
JoyWin
What does such a high level of Troponin mean for me? I've googled and looked at research but can't see anything that high.

Have I had a heart attack?

The troponin level means nothing for you. George explained why.

Anti-Fib explained what AF with RVR is.

Nope, you haven't had a heart attack.

Sorry you had the experience, but in the end it was all good news. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2019 12:23AM by Carey.
October 17, 2019 09:22AM
Thanks to all for responding. After probably nearly 20 years with this condition you would think I’d be immune to panic. Just now and then it catches me out, especially when the Dr is trying to show me he’s not concerned. 🤗🤗
October 17, 2019 10:53PM
JoyWin
Just now and then it catches me out, especially when the Dr is trying to show me he’s not concerned. 🤗🤗

I prefer a doctor who doesn’t sugar coat. It gives me doubts which could cause anxiety. I call my oncologist “dr death” because she is straight forward.

Try biofeedback. I used to listen to Dick Sutphen (Amazon) “sleep like a baby” trains you on biofeedback and his CD “Zapper”, if used daily, can fix the brain chemicals anxiety creates by sound frequency of the zapper sounds..so they say. There is a disclaimer not to drive when listening.
October 18, 2019 05:45AM
I’ll give it a shot Susan. Thanks 🤗
January 25, 2020 11:19AM
I was just in the hospital last week for three days with Afib RVR. My troponin was slightly elevated but came back down. Supposedly my EP here in Las Vegas said my echo and stress test came back fine but he did say I should not have elevated troponin even with such an elevated HR. Then when I talked to Kristi. Dr Natale’s NP she said to not be alarmed that that can happen. Who do I believe?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login