Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ramipril and palpitations/ectopics

Posted by DavrosT 
Ramipril and palpitations/ectopics
October 06, 2019 07:34AM
Hey guys,

So I'm having a weird issue at the moment. I've started to take my ramipril just before I go to sleep lately and last night was awful.

About an hour after taking it I had a massive heart pause that pulled me awake when I was dosing whilst reading.

Then I had another huge 'pause' when I turned over to go to sleep. I jumped to check my pulse twice and couldn't feel it. It stressed me out so much I shot up in bed, felt like my heart had stopped.

Does anybody else have this issue, or has experienced it with BP meds like that?
Re: Ramipril and palpitations/ectopics
October 06, 2019 11:44AM
I've never taken ramipril but I've been taking lisinopril for a couple of years, which is a close cousin. No effects like that whatsoever. The ACE inhibitors don't normally have any effects on heart rhythm.

Not sure what you experienced but I doubt it was actually a pause. A pause lasting more than just a few seconds would have caused you to pass out. If it happens again and you really think it's a pause, it's time to call your EP and get a Holter monitor to find out what's going on.
October 06, 2019 03:27PM
Davros:

I have been taking 1 tab. of Propafenone (125mg.) at night before bed, my doctor always wanted me to take 1 1/2 tabs. I tried that last year in June and July, it did help with AF but then I started waking up a few hours after taking the 1 1/2 tabs. feeling like my heart was slow and was having a hard time to beat, I have a pacemaker and it had to beat when it reached 50, but it was not very pleasant. I stopped the extra 1/2 and that strange feeling stopped.

But, this past 2 episodes of AF, the first one I took the extra 1/2 and went to bed I did wake up and felt a little strange. Then I had an episode about 2 weeks ago and it was early in the evening so I took the 1 1/2 of Propafenone about 2 hours later I started feeling terrible, I had a hard time walking from room to room, I was puffing and had to sit down, it was awful. I believe if I didn't have the pacemaker I might have passed out or worse. It is hard to believe that just taking a 1/2 a tab. more would do what it did to me. I have quit taking the Propafenone and will use it as a Pill in the pocket, but only 1 tab.

I did let my EP know, the problem is he is not available much of the time, he has given me the name of a good EP that will call and schedule an appt. with me.

Liz
October 07, 2019 05:44AM
To be honest, I suspect the ramipril isn't a problem.

When you're having ectopics and palps for what feels like no reason, you start trying to tick off what it could and couldn't be!
October 07, 2019 10:26AM
Yeah, totally understand that. The ACE inhibitors are usually pretty benign drugs so I think you're right it's not the ramipril.
October 08, 2019 04:19AM
Davros:

I can't tell what is going on with you over the Internet, but I have had incidences like what you describe.
At times I have very heavy Ectopy. More specifically many PAC's. At times 2 Pac's (missed beats), then a regular Beat, and so forth. When its this bad, I often have a harder time feeling a Pulse, but I eventually do, if I move my Finger around where I am trying to feel the pulse. I have had a Pulse Oxymeter on several times while this is happening, and the Oxymeter takes a while to show a reading, then when it does, it is like in the 30's. Within 5 seconds or so, the reading does jump up into the 50's or higher.

If this happens again where you can't feel a Pulse, I suggest try feeling it in a slightly different area. I feel my Pulse often, and even when things are going better with only mild Ectopy, I still notice, especially when I take large doses of Flecainide, that sometimes I cannot find a Pulse feeling my normal way, or when I do, its there, but it feels weaker.

Secondly, and actually the best advice, is to get a Holter Monitor test, like Carey suggested.
October 09, 2019 05:38PM
Its largely the same for me The Anti-fib, I am always checking for my pulse and, sadly, its become a bit of an obsession for me at times.

That said, due to this, I'm also very aware of any activity that happens and for about 6 months now it's been.. off.

I'm due a heart ehco on Monday and had a 7 day tape in June that showed nothing unusual.

It's all very confusing.
October 18, 2019 08:21AM
been on ramipril for over 10 years, with 24/7 AF......no effect on AF ever. Always take all my meds in the morning never at night.
Meds include: Warfarin, ramipril 10mg, aspirin 75mg, bisoprolol 2.5mg and a Lipitor 10mg, all taken in the morning at 8am ish
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login