Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Whole 30 anyone? Might sound silly but have some questions reg. nutrition

Posted by LaDonna 
Whole 30 anyone? Might sound silly but have some questions reg. nutrition
October 02, 2019 08:57AM
OK, so I know that a lot of people could view this topic as "diet" but I am coming from the perspective of trying to eliminate and play detective with this whole afib thing. Has anyone ever tried an elimination diet like Whole30 and had success figuring out trigger foods etc in regards to their afib episodes? I am at a bit of a challenging point physically. I am in perimenopause, a little overweight (probly about 20 lbs) have just gone through treatment for breast cancer which is what I believe triggered some afib episodes that put me on prescriptions for afib. With that said, I have seen info abt too much sodium in foods and afib and diet and afib and have been contemplating whole30 for the month just to see how it makes my body feel. I am also weaning off fleccianide at the moment and down to taking it every other day. Hoping and praying that I can stay out of afib and come off this stuff if possible. I have taurine at 500mg but haven't started taking it yet, not quite sure when to do that as I am trying to see cause and effect and take a little at the time not all at once so you dont know whats causing what! So welcoming any adivce from any reg Whole30 or taurine or potassium as I am looking at that as well, etc...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2019 08:57AM by LaDonna.
Re: Whole 30 anyone? Might sound silly but have some questions reg. nutrition
October 02, 2019 04:11PM
LaDonna,

My observation is that whether this helps you depends on your current metabolic status. Over the 15 years I've been on this board, some people who were metabolically unwell have been able to favorably impact their afib by changing their lifestyle. I've not done Whole 30, though did have a conversation at a dinner with someone who was doing it, so have an idea what is involved.

It also depends on how much remodeling has occurred. There is likely a point of no return, after which your afib may not respond.

When I say it depends on your current metabolic status - for example, my path to afib was chronic fitness but I was metabolically well. My diet is actually much stricter than Whole 30, but it doesn't impact my afib because I was already metabolically OK. Electrolytes (magnesium to bowel tolerance and to a lesser extent, potassium - 4g taken over the day) plus taurine (4g/day) and detraining from excessive endurance exercise were the keys to me keeping afib in remission.

One friend was able to reverse persistent afib extant for over a year through a keto diet, exercise and various lengths of extended water fasting. I would say he is the exception and was extremely motivated.
October 02, 2019 07:30PM
Thanks so much George, I appreciate your reply. I needed to ask however, what do you mean by remodling? I am still new to a lot of these terms and such, thank you.
October 02, 2019 11:08PM
LaDonna
Thanks so much George, I appreciate your reply. I needed to ask however, what do you mean by remodling? I am still new to a lot of these terms and such, thank you.

Here is a search on it where you can read about atrial remodeling. <[www.google.com]

In simple terms, "afib begets afib." Afib can remodel the heart both structurally and physically to make it more likely for afib to occur in the future or continue (be persistent). The more you are in afib, the more likely this remodeling will occur. Hence the earlier you are in your afib journey, the higher chance of success that lifestyle and/or supplements may help. I had a 2.5 month episode in my first 4 months of afib. However in the next 15 years, I've gone as long as 2 years without an episode. Since April of 2018, I've had 2 episodes each lasting atout an hour (both converted with 300 mg flecainide, which has been my habit for 15 years). The remodeling is why one of my goals is to spend absolutely as little time in afib as possible. I would have thought my 2.5 month episode might have been too long, but I'm lucky and it was not. As I mentioned above, My friend converted an over 12 month episode with diet, fasting and exercise. I've encouraged him to write up his story to post here, but he's very busy and has never gotten around to it.
October 03, 2019 06:20AM
+ when I said structurally and physically, I meant to include electrically. Fibrosis of the tissue is one way remodeling is expressed.
October 03, 2019 09:49AM
Thanks again, I know it is different for everyone, all on here have different stories to tell of the "why" and the "what helped me" and as I said, I am learning all of this and like others trying to find what helps me. So thankful that forums like this exist so we can learn from each othersmiling smiley My story of afib is that about 5 years ago in Aug I had a lone episode out of the blue and didn't know what it was. An ER trip and the drugs to convert finally got me back to "normal" and after being thoroughly checked for heart health was prescribed an aspirin a day. After that I went on something similar to whole 30 but for longer than 30 and lost a bit of weight, got down about 20lbs and no other afib but occasional weird feelings (perhaps palps or skipping) but nothing notable or lasting. Fast forward the 4 years and was diagnosed with cancer and abt 4-5 weeks into chemo which I got on Mondays, went into afib on Thursday eve 2 weeks in a row while going to sleep, then the following week afib on Wed evening all about the same time, which is when the heart doc put me on the meds. For the rest of chemo I had no other afib episodes, but now the chemo and rads are done I am trying to see if my body has built up enough strength to go without support so to speak. I know that weight loss will benefit me for my health and heart, although I am sure there are plenty of people who are thin and exercise that still have afib. As soon as I can, perhaps when I am off of the fleccianide a bit, I would like to take taurine and see if it dose anything good for keeping me steady? I already take mag glycinate from a company called Piping Rock, they say 1 pill has 665mg? Don't know if that is a good amount for me,doesn't feel like it is doing anything negative? Was also wondering if I should consider taking a low dose potasium pill? I do eat avacado and banana though. Anyway thanks again for your time! Have a blessed day.
October 06, 2019 05:54PM
I went on a modified version of whole 30 after afib diagnosis to mainly decrease inflammation . Although I have a problem with their 30 days concept, I used the cookbook to help with eating healthier. I feel it helped me look at food ingredients and decrease sugar in my diet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login