Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dna test for afib

Posted by susan.d 
Dna test for afib
September 27, 2019 12:45AM
[bostonheartdiagnostics.com]

Worth having your kids take it. At least if tested positive you can harp them to drink less alcohol and caffeine and other triggers.
Re: Dna test for afib
September 27, 2019 07:44AM
Here is what SNPeadia says about 4q25 <[www.snpedia.com]

SNPeadia
Two SNPs from chromosome 4q25, rs2200733 and rs10033464, were found to be associated with atrial fibrillation in a study of both European and Asian populations. The odds ratio associated with one or more copies of either risk allele was ~1.4x. ....."

I'm rs2200733(C;C ) & rs10033464(G;G), both of these are the non risk (i.e. good) variants.

When I run my 23andMe raw data through Promethease.com, I get 7 good SNP's, 2 bad and 9 unknown. I analyzed my children's data and compared to mine to see if I could figure out if they were at increased risk. I could not conclude anything. Neither of my parents had afib, though my path was chronic fitness and neither of them were in that category. Both my kids are. They do know my story.

On genetic testing, I'm of the opinion that epigenetics play a larger role than just the DNA.

In this Nature Genetics paper <[sci-hub.tw] " In total, we identified 97 loci significantly associated with AF, including 67 that were novel in a combined-ancestry analysis, and 3 that were novel in a European-specific analysis."

When I was skiing a couple of years ago with a professor of genetics, I mentioned that my take on genetic testing was that, except for a few conditions with very strong links, like ApoE4 with AlzD & the BRACA 1&2 for female cancers, it was pretty hard to determine anything from genetic tests. He agreed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login