Welcome to the Afibber’s Forum
Serving Afibbers worldwide since 1999
Moderated by Shannon and Carey

Afibbers Home Afibbers Forum General Health Forum
Afib Resources Afib Database Vitamin Shop

Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Can multaq be given after a short run of v-tach?

Posted by susan.d 
Can multaq be given after a short run of v-tach?
August 22, 2019 12:05PM
Flecainide since 2004. Successful with paleo diet, no alcohol, mg and coQ10 supplements no msg or caffeine with rare occasional AF. Since March 2019 frequent AF starting upon hearing the news of death of mom, threatening daily texts for 10 days of guy who cut down my tree of coming over with gun if I don’t go to the ATM. So...stress was my trigger plus since March I stopped my cpap. I regretfully ignored my old EP who wanted me to switch to multaq (told it’s not as successful as flecainide) or he wanted an ablation. I wasn’t ready at the time for an ablation. ER cardiologists who made rounds -who didn’t know me suggested increasing flec to 3/day. I contacted a former long term ny cardiologist in ny (live now in ca) who agreed try 3. My old EP (he is very upset with me) said he disagreed.

Long story short I saw a local EP for a second EP opinion, increased flec to 3/day for 5 days and did a treadmill which produced v-tach @101 within 2 minutes and I got home last night after 3 days in cardiac ICU with a 23-37 HR after they cardio converted me. Currently off Flecainide for good. HR is 60-63 standing to 51 sitting. It was higher but I was told to restart atenolol last night so it is in the 50-60 range, like it has been since 2004 until lately.. Obviously they stopped it in the icu.

Anyone out there reading this knows the answer since I had my first v-tach if another Arrhythmia drug like multaq would cause the same affects of flec induced v-tach since I now had one episode of v-tach? Or is an ablation my only option now?

I only want one EP. But I would appreciate any feedback to better my understanding before seeing my new EP tomorrow to ask questions. I am hoping it was a blessing in disguise because Flecainide is a black label drug and ICU said it’s better to know in a hospital setting if 3/day would be toxic instead of possibly getting v-tach @ 2/day at home. I am still beating myself up with frustration and need to move forward.

I would really like to know if a single v-tach does electrical remodeling scarring similar to AF “Afib begets af?

Thank you. Sorry for 3 threads but I am very frustrated I made a poor decision to increase to 3/day and any future damage that may occur from my v-tach.
Re: Can multaq be given after a short run of v-tach?
August 22, 2019 01:15PM
susan.d
Anyone out there reading this knows the answer since I had my first v-tach if another Arrhythmia drug like multaq would cause the same affects of flec induced v-tach since I now had one episode of v-tach? Or is an ablation my only option now?

I would really like to know if a single v-tach does electrical remodeling scarring similar to AF “Afib begets af?

No, Multaq doesn't carry the same risks. In fact, it's probably the tamest antiarrhythmic there is. The trouble is, it's also the least "powerful" so it may not work for you. Time will tell. Ablation isn't your only option but it if I were you I would strongly consider it.

A single v-tach episode doesn't cause any remodeling. Remodeling is something that happens over months and years, not one or two episodes of anything.
August 22, 2019 02:13PM
Thank you Carey. It is much appreciated. I am just frustrated and not feeling right. I need to talk to my doctors for concerning questions until I get a follow up appointment. I received very minimal discharge instructions “resume meds” and a sheet what to do if I ever get AF. I called up my two cardiologists (one is general, one specializes in Women’s small vessel disease) today because I am still peeing and dizzy when standing. My HR now is 44 relax sitting spiking to the highest 71 standing. I am off the beta blocker until they call me back. I just want to know if I should still drink 8 glasses a day with my current output and for advice on what HR number I should take a Tenormin and lastly should I be concerned about my input and output and should I do anything about it? I am waiting for call backs. I am so wobbly and dizzy. Usually mg helps but I didn’t take it because I had a lot the last 3 days and it affected my bowels. I am sure it will help but I don’t want to make anymore bad decisions.
Susan
August 22, 2019 04:14PM
With a resting HR of 44 I sure wouldn't take the Tenormin or any other type of beta blocker. You needed to take it with flecainide but you don't with Multaq, so I wouldn't.

I would also definitely back off the magnesium if it's causing diarrhea. Losing salt and potassium is the last thing you need to be doing.

Can't imagine why 8 glasses of water a day would do you any harm, but it might explain the peeing. Output is going to equal input.
August 22, 2019 05:11PM
My output exceeds input. It was monitored in icu. I won’t take Tenormin unless it’s over 60 —25mg x2/day has kept me in range since 1987. But today standing is over 70 and sitting as low as 44 so I am holding off the tenormin. I was diagnosed with mitral valve disease (now aorta too) in 1987 way before AF and took Tenormin for my valves. It’s a tough drug to go cold turkey. I had to do it in 2004 for 6 months and had many fainting and concussions and stitches before I resumed after a positive tilt table test. Obviously they cut me off cold turkey now so the withdrawals are evident.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login